Do you keep "cash" in your home?

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
I mean what you would consider a sizable amount? I do, mostly because its a long trip to town if I need some and I like paying my bills / purchaces with cash money, no one has ever refused to take it compared to a check. :D

I'm just wondering how many others do the same?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Do you keep "cash" in your home?

I mean what you would consider a sizable amount? I do, mostly because its a long trip to town if I need some and I like paying my bills / purchaces with cash money, no one has ever refused to take it compared to a check. :D

I'm just wondering how many others do the same?

Why would anyone even want to admit to keeping large sums of money at home on an open forum on the internet? Sounds like an invitation to being relieved of your money and more to me.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No cash..... just bullets :) Don't need cash.....I like paper trails when I pay for things.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm a Doomsday Prepper so I keep large amounts of gold laying around. Worked out well for Montezuma :eek:

Don S

I wasn't saying large sums but I guess that depends on your point of reference. i was just asking if others are more cash oriented than checking acounts. etc. You may be right, others may prefer not to say and that's cool. I tend to forget sometimes that things are a lot different when it comes to crime in the cities.

In that case, I'm like Bob, I need the paper trail that shows things have been paid by the bank. The ole "I paid you in cash" just doesn't hold up if something goes wrong down the line.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm a paper trail guy....using less and less cash as the years go by so there's no need to keep much of it on hand. My wife would find it anyway.

Back in "the day" I always had a big stack of singles, but that wasn't to pay bills. ;)

tpenfield

Staff member

I have considerable amounts of money in my home . . . It seems to have worked its way down in the cushions of the couch. :D

I'm not sure exactly how much is there, but it is probably a lot.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

If you ever watched those daytime court shows, you hear many times, "I paid in cash". "Did you get a receipt?". "No". "Why not?". "They wouldn't give me one.". That person who paid cash is inevitably out of luck. Has no proof for nothing. I was/am one of those guys that didn't do an auto-deposit. I wanted to see, feel and sign that paycheck. I never use cash to pay bills. I use cash for purchasing small items. Heck, I never have enough on me to pay for a tank of gas.....

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use my check card most of the time, use my banks bill pay for bills, like the levels of security. But i use cash some times at the stores, i like to see the look on the young kids faces, as in what the heck is this stuff.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I keep a 5 figure amount in cash in the house, I write checks to pay bills, get a reciept for pay at pump gas. Oh and enough ammo to hold out for a day or two. My safe don't open it unless you want to die.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I keep a pallet of it next to the 2 pallets of dried milk and toilet paper in the garage just in case it snows. ;)

nwcove

Admiral

does a large stash of bouillon count??? figure it could come in handy when the zombie apocalypse happens!! :lol:

JB

I have several hundred bux of coin and a few hundred bux in paper, a Ruger, a Browning and a Taurus at home. I pay all of my bills by check except my housekeeper and the trash pickup guy (they get cash). What I buy is mostly paid by credit cards that are zeroed at the end of each month (by check). I keep all receipts.

I don't trust the internet with my finances. As soon as I get my million$ from Western Union, the FBI, Bank of Nigeria, and others I will probably keep a few megabux at home and hire armed guards. :)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Paying cash for anything is just plumb crazy, unless its a candy bar out of a vending machine. Just moments ago I used a credit card to pay for a $3 grocery purchase at the quicky mart.

My credit cards gives me cash back. Typically, I get a check in the mail for $50 or $60 each month. The bank pays my bills, gives me a rebate for doing so, and I pay the bank with an online transfer from my checking account.

My elderly parents insist on paying cash for everything. I ask them if the store gives them a discount for cash and they say no. Just the way they were brought up - can't live on credit.

I have been doing it this way for more than 40 years. In that time I have never paid one red cent in interest, because I pay the bill within 30 days.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Damn. I'm plumb crazy :( Now what do I do?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

does a large stash of bouillon count??? figure it could come in handy when the zombie apocalypse happens!! :lol:

Or at least you can make a nice batch of soup.... :)

JRJ

Commander

I find it funny that when the electricity is off, many places don't even take cash :facepalm:
I sold a trailer to a guy that brought me $10K in cash. I almost ran out of ink in my counterfeit checking pen :D