Anti-Seize ?'s

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anti-Seize ?'s

copper and aluminium will make a battery!!!
There is not one aluminum alloy (except 1100) that does not contain copper. Does that mean you can not use anything aluminum in saltwater?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Does that mean you can not use anything aluminum in saltwater?

Well... We can and we obviously do. Any metal, given enough time, will corrode away in saltwater. Useing paint protection, sacrificial annodes, galvanic isolators are all things we can do to help slow the process down.

The drive of course be made out of surgical quality stainless steel. But they would cost 20K a pop for an alpha.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Wow

they deleted the post where i used DON S info and the offshoreonly info!!!

Freakin fools

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

As a Marine Engineer in the '70s I started using Permatex High Temp Antiseize on everything in the engineroom. Boilers, general service pumps and lots of different rotating machinery. If working with larger diameter SST fasteners, its also useful in preventing gauling at high torques. Since then I've used it on autos, trailers, outboards and no telling what else. In saltwater and fresh water. (And lug nuts on wheels for the past 35 years with absolutely positively no adverse affects.) I don't overdo it because it does get all over everything if your not careful. It's also important to avoid getting it on gasket surfaces otherwise it can prevent a proper seal right where you need it the most. All said, using the right antizeize makes life a whole lot easier if you have to get back into a machine a few years down the road. My $.02

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I wish that would have had the camera with me today, one of the power poles we were working on, had a ground wire going down to a (I think) 3/4"x6 foot galvinized or could have been copper clad ground rod, It was rotted off right at ground level.
the pole was set on the side of an alkallie lake.
I am a little leary about the anchour rods, nothing like going up a pole and the one inch rod pulls apart and the pole snaps
That is electrolysis!!!!!

Last edited:

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Woodnaut
Petty Officer 1st Class

yes the HIGH TEMP = NO COPPER!!!

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

anti-seize' was developed for high heat, high octane engines. Mostly aircraft, that burn L-L 100 octane. a slow heating lube for the eghaust manifold.
it has since been used on cars, trucks, boats, anything that you would like to get manifold off, without twisting the nuts off. It's a good lube but, I have NO! idea why it would be used for other than a high temp situation

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

got some alum cable. aluim cable is not effected by salt water.