How to match gel coat color?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
As part of my '97 Larson restoration, I need to gelcoat some parts of the bilge and vicinity that had to be cut away and/or ground down. Is there any way, other than trial and error, to get a reasonably close match on the gel coat color? It's an off-white; a pure white gel coat won't look very good next to the existing off-white stuff. Anybody have tips on color matching?

Thank you!

Jim

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to match gel coat color?

If you want to go the pricey route, you can contact the manufacturer and they can probably sell you some gel or at least give you the color info so you can go to one of many websites and order the matching gel (google factory matched gelcoat). As mentioned, not cheap and I would doubt that would give you a perfect match anyway due to the difference in the age of the gel you are matching.

If I was you, especially in the bilge area, I would get a quart of neutral gel and find a jar of pigment that was close as possible. If you can see that the closest color is too light or dark by looking at it, you could always buy a jar of the opposite shade for mixing. My 2 cents, which is worth a lot less on the open market. Good luck.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jim,

Here's the exact match. But, as Gator pointed out, rather pricey for the bilge. Might be worth it if you are gel coating the new deck.

Spectrum Color Online

Ben

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Ouch! Not sure I want to spend that kind of money... thanks, though, I've bookmarked it for future use.

Jim

tpenfield

Staff member

Since it is the bilge and related areas . . . would it be possible just to coat everything that shows, so all you see is one color?

Color matching is usually an art for the exterior surfaces. Not sure it is worth the trouble for the internals.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Yes, Ted, that' probably what I'll do. If everything back there is white, and there is no direct comparison between the white and off-white, it might not even be noticeable.

I'm have to keep reminding myself to not get carried away and try to make everything absolutely perfect. It's a tendency I fight on all my DIY projects, and for some reason, it's been particularly a struggle while working on this boat. Maybe because it's my first, and I want to do it just right, especially considering how much work I'm putting into this thing!

I need to keep repeating, "it's only the bilge... it's only the bilge..."

Jim

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Since it is the bilge and related areas . . . would it be possible just to coat everything that shows, so all you see is one color?

Color matching is usually an art for the exterior surfaces. Not sure it is worth the trouble for the internals.

Yea .. one thing about painting a Full bilge is Prep mate. You have to Clean everything .. remove everything that you possibly can. You just cant be slopping around paint in the engine compartment.

Color matching is indeed an art for the Interior surface. You should try to Blend the interior as close as possible.

Well .. thats what I have been trained to do. If it of no matter to the end user then its just coat it as best you can..

YD.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

In this case, the bilge area is precast fiberglass pan that resides under the rear sunpad. You can't even see it unless the sunpad is opened, and even then, 90% of what you see is the engine. If I were gel coating the deck or some other visible area, I'd probably spring for color matched gel, but it's hard to justify the cost for an area that rarely sees the light of day.

As for prep before gelcoating, is light sanding and thorough washing with acetone sufficient?

Thanks,
Jim

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Being a finished surface you would need to remove all glossyness out with 120ish paper.

Do you plan on sanding and buffing..or just a brush or roller thing ?

YD.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I'm not sure... I don't really know what's involved. I don't have any equipment for spraying gel, so I'd have to apply it with a roller. I hadn't really thought about sanding and buffing; I mainly was concerned with protecting the fiberglass from water in the bilge. If I were to sand and buff, what exactly would I need to do? (Even a pointer to a thread or sticky that spells it out would help.)

Thanks,
Jim

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Any pics of your project ? ... that would help to determine what tools/materials you could use.

YD.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I've got a thread detailing the whole project at http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...blems-larson-186-sei-i-o-bowrider-570875.html.

I haven't take any picture since I completed grinding, but here's a pic that gives you a bit of a look.

P1020307.jpg

The engineered stringers that I cut out to install the transom have yet to be glassed back in. Since the picture was taken, I have ground back the gel coat about 8" to give me some good bite as I tab in the the stringer sections that were removed. In addition, I roughed up much of the gel coat in the pan (all that is visible at the lower part of the picture up to the gelcoated bulkhead that is the forward border of the bilge).

I'll try to get out and get some pictures of the area as it is. I'm waiting for a bit of warmer weather so I can glass in the stringers I cut out, so I have time to figure out how to do this.

Thanks,
Jim

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

As YD already said. You would have to grind or sand everywhere you intend to put the new gelcoat. I am pretty sure the old bilge paint had wax in it. We used to put what the manufacturers called "bilge enamal" which was "distressed" gelcoat with wax in it and often it didn't match color very well even from barrel to barrel, and never from batch# to batch# because it was just used for bilge paint.