Underwater Camera

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to buy a underwater camera so i can ck. my crab pots to see if i'm in the right spots and pull-up when the crab are in/not in the pots. I'v seen go-pro on you-tube and also see the cableas camera with the moniter. My budget would be around 250 bucks, anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Underwater Camera

Looking to buy a underwater camera so i can ck. my crab pots to see if i'm in the right spots and pull-up when the crab are in/not in the pots. I'v seen go-pro on you-tube and also see the cableas camera with the moniter. My budget would be around 250 bucks, anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks

Ayuh,.... How deep a water are ya talkin',..??

How ya gonna deploy, 'n retrieve the camera, 'n wires,..??

oldjeep

Admiral

Gopro is waterproof, but you wouldn't be able to remote display the image unless you bought one of the fancy hero3's that have the wifi link to your phone. Not sure how far the wifi would be good for underwater

alot of camera's are waterproof even the cheap ebay ones can be used in shallow water. The trouble is the deeper you go the more the external water pressure acts on the housing and glass until it implodes. until you tell us the max depth then there is no real ans to the question.
cheap would be a standard bullet camera with infared or additional led lighting in a high pressure housing (you can make the housing). this would make a fine camera on a stick but if your plans are more advanced like prop driven (r.o.v) then $250 is not going to be close unless you have friends that can make the parts on a lathe. 12vdc screens and bullet cameras are cheap so depending on the depth it can be done.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Well....
I was going to make a suggestion, but looks like I sorta can't.

What I was going to suggest is a dandy little Harbor Freight unit (model #91309) that it seems they USTA SELL, and I bought a couple years ago. Comes with about 60ft of cord, a B&W monitor, IR lighting, 12v rechargeablee gell battery, and is towable behind the boat (at low speeds). Was cheap, and has worked great for me trying to find a submerged mooring.

Unfortunately I'm not finding any mention of it on their site. But I found a link for the manual though; http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/91000-91999/91309.pdf

If you have a HF store in your area, there may still be one left on the shelves, or an equivalent Chinese branded version on your favorite Internet auction site.

Of course this whole post is fluff if you're crabbing at greater than 60ft. ;)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have an AquaView, it works well, must be about 15 years old, maybe more. Never checked my crab pots though, depending on the depth and current it would be rather difficult to zero in on the pot, I can't imagine it working well around here.

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have the fish tv,50 ft. cord, and the picture is great.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

West Marine used to sell a small ROV. This had a video camera with a feed to a surface monitor. It also had props and a ballast system so you could drive it around, and lights for the video camera. They used to keep one in a tank in the store so you could play with it. Don't know if they still sell them, but it'd probably do what you want. Probably a fair # of $$ as well.

There are websites that claim to show you how to build your own ROV for less then $250.