86 johnson throttle control question

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
have an 86 johnson motor just got for my boat adding new controls, have single lever dual control with trim, pulled apart and connected new cables, which cable is which when connecting to the motor. standing at the helm is cable on left (something) and cable on right (something) which is which

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86 johnson throttle control question

When you move the handle slightly either forward or back, the first cable to move is the shift cable. Further movement of the throttle handle activates the throttle cable. You did not mention what hp engine you have. If it's a low hp engine, like a 30, the throttle is on the port side, the shift is on starboard side.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i always put a piece of duct tape on the throttle cable. makes life easier.

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys I did mark the end pulled through to connect to the motor which is a 120 v4 johnson 1986, marked the one on the left side and the right side as connected to the shifter, sorry port and starboard still learning, the left I think moved first, does that sound right?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

all you really need to know is which one moves first when you START to move the throttle lever..

the one that moves FIRST, connects to the shifter!!

easy peasy

eventually the shifter stops and the throttle starts....

they are the same exact cable and they are the same length, the ends are the same... you really dont need to know which is wheich until you get back to the motor and need to attach them to their respective places.

good luck

bob

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will do and understood thanks Bob