Questions about 25 HP Mercury EFI four stroke outboard

Lundman A-14

Cadet
Have some questions that have come to mind that I would like to ask about the 25( & 30) HP EFI Mercury four stroke
outboards. I know that they are made by Tohatsu,...but with that fact aside,...overall,how reliable have these motors
been? Are they easy to service on your own such as oil change,etc? How do they do on fuel mileage with the EFI vs a carbed motor of the same HP? What has been your experience with them for those of you who might own them? Have any of you had a battery go dead on you and still be able to run this motor as Mercury says you can do? Have these motors been giving you good dependable service? :)How much smoother do the EFI motors run compared to a carbed motor? Just some things I wanted to know before I upgrade boats late spring/early summer if all goes according to plan!

hipster dufus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Questions about 25 HP Mercury EFI four stroke outboard

i own a 30 hp tohatsu efi w/ptt. bought it in aug of 2012. have 26 hrs on it. i will try to ansewr ur questions. i have done 1 oil change/luchange. very easy. gas consumption is so small i went and bought a 3 gal tank because the 6 gal took up too much room in the boat. i went camping and took 2 extra gals with me, for a 3 day trip. when i put a 3rd guy in the boat i did use a bit more gas. i do not hesitate to go out with the 3 gal tank for a day of fishing. the motor is ona weldbilt 1648 mv top speed with 2 guys , gps, is 27-28 mph. 3 guys i stiil attained 26 mph, but like i said gas consumption went up. the ptt switch is on the engine i have a lanyard with a remote ptt switch. i have used the pull start numerous times and it stated right up. there is no choke on an efi. just push the button. installed a tiny tach for break in and maint intervals works great. this is my second tohatsu, i had an 9.8 that was carbed. i wanted to stay away from a carb because of ethanol issues. the 9.8 was good to me and was hit by a falling tree that might have left some debris in the carb, i had it clnd.and it ran great. the trash in the carb could have been from the manufacturing process.. oh yeah it is a tiller. i hope this helps. remember mercs r quite a bit more. my motor was 4025 plus 35 for the trim switch. i hope this helps. let me know if u have any more questions

Lundman A-14

Cadet

Thanks for coming back to me on this,...and answering my questions. After giving it some thought and looking back on my history with Mercury Marine products,...which were not good and led to many problems,...I have decided to go with Yamaha because of their
reputation of reliability and stick with Yamaha since I already have one on the present boat. I'm sure the EFI is great,but right now,I
can't justify the added cost of going with EFI over carbureted motor. We have a gas station here in my town that offers ethanol free straight gas and that is what I am using in the present boat without any problems at all,...the fuel brand is Country Mark! As long as they keep carrying it,that is what I will use,...and add to the fact Country Mark is becoming quite popular in Indiana from north to south. I have had Evinrude,Johnson,Mercury,and Yamaha,...and I have to say I like Yamaha the best as they have proven themselves to be most reliable,...and Mercury the LEAST reliable,...based on my own personal experience. Maybe Mercury has changed some things,but I have decided not to put any faith or trust in their motors.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You should give the Evinrude Etecs, direct injection 2 strokes, a look 25 and 30hp.about 144 lbs to 170 lbs no service for 3 years or 300 hours,no break in period. Fewer less ,complicated service intervals than 4 strokes. Etec is the official motor on official boats on restricted Lake Tahoe.

Lundman A-14

Cadet

You should give the Evinrude Etecs, direct injection 2 strokes, a look 25 and 30hp.about 144 lbs to 170 lbs no service for 3 years or 300 hours,no break in period. Fewer less ,complicated service intervals than 4 strokes. Etec is the official motor on official boats on restricted Lake Tahoe.

See my response under "Mercury vs. Honda vs. Yamaha"