89' 100HP Mercury sat for 5 months no start

mplummerjr

Recruit
Hi, I know better than to let my 2 cycle 100HP engine sit for 5+ months. My father passed away and well, was furthest thing from my mind. I made sure the batteries were charged. Lowered the engine for a bit to let the fluids flow down. Gas is full. I had to keep it on the charger from starting attempts killing it. Getting warm again in FL soon and would like to have her ready. I am handy but not a pro. I have been told things from dip the plugs in gas to spray stuff into the engine somewhere. Not trying to make things worse so figured I would check on here first for real advice. Its a 3,000 boat so not wanting to pay a shop $400+ to do it. Any help is appreciated.

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89' 100HP Mercury sat for 5 months no start

I'm no marine mechanic but I could be any number of things, bad fuel, gummed up carbs, clogged ful filters ect. ect.

Are the plugs firing? That would be the first thing I checked. If they are then it's a fuel issue. Drain the tank, blow out the lines, and replace the fuel filters. If the carbs need to be cleaned I personally would leave that to a pro.

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 89' 100HP Mercury sat for 5 months no start

1st thing get the old fuel out of the tank and lines then take the carbs off and clean them put fresh fuel in and crank it up. Normally the chokes will get gummed shut and there for won't crank. I would do that before anything else