1978 Glastron CVX-18 FIX

Over the summer i bought my first boat at what i thought was a good deal but to my supprise the guy lied and it had a cracked block, so after a new motor it was running good but would loose water if you tried to trim???:facepalm: Now that it has gotten cold i have decided to fix it all including the paint and fiberglass cracks due to rotten wood etc. the fiberglass/wood work will be done by my uncle since he has built 3 boats. As i said earlier this is my first boat, so any tips would be GREAT.
THANKS

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
Re: 1978 Glastron CVX-18 FIX

also should i just tear it all out and redo it all or can i do transom and engine area this year then floor next year etc...

Bondo

Staff member

Over the summer i bought my first boat at what i thought was a good deal but to my supprise the guy lied and it had a cracked block, so after a new motor it was running good but would loose water if you tried to trim???:facepalm: Now that it has gotten cold i have decided to fix it all including the paint and fiberglass cracks due to rotten wood etc. the fiberglass/wood work will be done by my uncle since he has built 3 boats. As i said earlier this is my first boat, so any tips would be GREAT.
THANKS

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Pull the motor, 'n drive, then do ALL the wood, 'n glass work....

It's alot Easier to do the whole job at once, rather than strippin' the hull, Twice...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Once you get the drive train and cap pulled off the boat you'll realize it'll be better to go ahead and do it all while you have it apart.

You're going to have to remove some decking to redo the transom anyway... and when you see the mess that is waiting on you below deck you'll probably wonder how the boat has held together as long as it has.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

The best news for you is that one of the best boat rebuilders is rebuilding the exact same boat right now! Check out his rebuild thread right here on iboats. You've purchased a fiberglass classic that has its own following as well, so check out Classic Glastron Owners Association for specific info about your boat.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...vx-18-complete-restoration-thread-585518.html

Yes, you'll want to pull the motor and have your Uncle redo all the wood. Glastron Carlson's have great performance and styling, but like many boat builders back then, didn't seal the wood like it needed to be, and they almost all need work now.

Got the drive pulled tonight and the cap separated but not off yet. I noticed that in a few areas the cap had busted/split and when i go to reinstall it im afraid it wont seal very good and may look bad. Thoughts??

jbcurt00

Staff member

likely you'll want to grind back & re-glass those area as they are the mating/mounting flange that attach the cap to the hull

I noticed that on Friscoboater's thread that he said he had to remove the transom?? why, how The reason im asking is because that after i pulled my drive it appeared that the previous owner had "repaired" the transom, but as it appears his "repair" consisted of just putting a new plate on, glassing over it, and PB the edges to smooth everything down? wrong way!? I take it this method is a quick fix for a major problem?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not really. Pics would help us to help you but... If the PO did replace the transom and IF he installed it correctly then you would not need to replace it. Again, Pics will tell the tale!!!

ill post pics tonight im having trouble getting some to post because the file is too large??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Open a FREE Photobucket account. Do NOT use the new version. Check the link that says go back to old version. In the old version you can have Photobucket auto size your pics to 640x480 which is the preferred size for iBoats. Once your pics are uploaded to PB, use the IMG Code to copy the pics to iBoats.

here are the pics of the current transom. what do yall think?

Attachments

• photo 1 (5).JPG
    photo 1 (5).JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2 (4).JPG
    photo 2 (4).JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3 (3).JPG
    photo 3 (3).JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 0

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

That doesn't look replaced to me...that looks 'band-aided' to me?

it looks like he just used a ton on PB to stro to clean it up

Attachments

• photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, that does not look good. Drill some core samples and see what you find. This is where the swithcback link is located in the NEW Photobucket
PBSwitchBack_zps61b03ac5.jpg

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

From the factory, the transom should look like this...so something has definitely been done to it. (This is from my '78 CVZ-18, which is the bowrider version of yours.)

PB150007.JPG

I cant really tell a difference other than the total height of the transom its self
And how do u take a core samplt