Well... I guess I just cant stay away from boat restorations at all. A few weeks ago I found a 1985 Chris Craft scorpion 23ft on blocks that had been sitting for over 15 years. It got my gears going big time, and I just could not resist throwing out an offer. It needed a re-power, and major paint help... not to mention interior. Now if that was not enough... it did not have a trailer either. Well they accepted my very low offer, and I went back to do a final check up, and make sure I wanted to jump down that rabbit hole. After spending about a hour going over the boat, I found that it would need most of the rear wood replaced to make her sound again, and started to lose interest. After I had found that issue, the owner stated that they lost the title, and I would have to do all the leg work to get a replacement. Deal breaker!
Soooo... where did that leave me? I wanted to do a project, but a little smaller boat that I could put on a cradle in my garage and work in comfort. I popped onto craigslist and took a quick look, and right there at the top of the page was a really awesome looking 1986 Carlson CVX-18... for a really AWESOME price. I called the guy set a time to meet, scooped up Dad and drove over an hour outside of town to look at this boat. When I pulled up I knew it was going to be mine. I just clicked... those sleek gorgeous lines, and that awesome paint scheme.. I was hoooked. We got to talking to the guy who owned it, and got the whole story, and found out it was running, but had a problem 8 years ago, and they just never fixed it. So there it sat. It needs everything... upholstery, deck, stringers, transom, compound and buffing, engine, the works... BUT... it was complete and un-moletsted. At that point I just did not care, I HAD to have this boat. I shot a number out and we shook hands on the deal... so I thought. Guess what... title problems. They were waiting on the replacement from Austin, and it just had not arrived yet. Greeeaaaaat!!!! I was just about to walk away, but then he pulled out the receipt from the TPWD that showed that they had indeed filed for a title replacement, and it should be there any day. At that point I decided to go ahead with the deal, but come back when the title came in. Yes it meant another long trip, but I wanted to make sure. It took all I had to drive away that day, but I knew it was for the best. I was the longest week ever waiting for his call, but a few days later he called me up and informed me that the title was there. Whooohoooo!!! So Dad and I loaded up today and headed out to pick her up.
The trip was uneventful, and the boat is now at home ready for her makeover. So sit back and follow along to see Dad and I restore this boat to her former glory. Now one thing I will be doing different is after the restoration is done, I will be putting it up for auction/sale for someone to own her. I have no room for another boat, but I love restoring them. So anyway that is the plan.
Pictures and video