Rustoleum Marine Topside- Clear coat after this? on Alum Boat

jmcaswell

Recruit
I am using the Rusto Marine Topside -Navy Blue- should I apply a Rusto Krystal Clear Coat after it just to protect it more? maybe retain the glossyness more?

How do I leave the final Coat (Navy Blue) as gloss as possible on my alum jon boat

Thoughts?

Thank You

Jim

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rustoleum Marine Topside- Clear coat after this? on Alum Boat

Most of the guys here that have tried the Rustoleum clear coat did NOT like it. Discolored and peeled after time. I painted my boat with Acrylic Enamel, (just like rustoleum) but I used the Hardener which enhances the gloss and makes the paint set up like car paint. Been on for 2 years and still shines like new. Check the last link in my signature below for details. If you clear coat it, it makes it harder to do touch ups if and when needed. Without it, you can sand it, tape it off and do the patch.

jmcaswell

Recruit

I hear ya- just wanted to hear it once again from somebody else- I ordered the majic hardener so Im good to go there- thank ya!

jim

jbcurt00

Staff member

Make sure to use an iso rated respirator w/ that hardener, it's got pretty nasty stuff in it....

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the Majic hardner compatable with Rusto Top Side paint? I'm using the same paint in the next few days and would love to add the hardner.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you ask rustoleum they'll say NO. However, my experience tells me that it will. It's acrylic enamel alkyd based paint the the Majic Hardener is formulated for that mixture of paint. Why not just use the Majic Paint instead and not worry about it??

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why not just use the Majic Paint instead and not worry about it??

The local TS here don't stock the navy blue. They are very hard to get to order any thing and if they do it takes for ever to get it. Oil base paints are getting harder to get around here due to the EPA regs. I made a 40 mile trip to Menards to pick up some Aurucaply and got the only two qts of rusto they had. Should have just bought the Majic in royale blue and mixed some black with it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The Hardener will work just fine with the Rusto. I've used it a lot with NO ISSUES. Are you spraying or roll n' roll'ing?

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will be spraying it. Already painted the hull with Majic custom mixed to an off white. Just need to spray the cap now.