125 mercury 1998 outboard

mercurymad

Recruit
1998 125 mercury outboard

i am having problems removing the pinion gear from shaft.

used search and they say to remove pinion nut hold shaft [vise] and drive off housing with 2x4.

i can not get it to budge with 3# maul.

what am i missing? is there a lock ring somewhere i can't find?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 125 mercury 1998 outboard

This may sound like a silly question but do you have the water pump completely disassembled from the driveshaft, including the pump base?

Do you have the parts list and the manual? If not, what is your engine s/n?

Gerry

mercurymad

Recruit

This may sound like a silly question but do you have the water pump completely disassembled from the driveshaft, including the pump base?

Do you have the parts list and the manual? If not, what is your engine s/n?

Gerry

yes, have waterpump and seal for bearing removed.

s/n

og643274

M

Maxz695

Smaller unit but may give you some idea what to look for View attachment 177852 Pinion gear and nut to remove. The pinion should come off after taking the nut loose from the drive shaft. This is located inside the lower propshaft section of the lu case. View attachment 177853 Heres a drive shaft from a smaller gearbox same thing to give an idea wat to look for. The pinion gear is on the lower part of the driveshaft and the nut must be removed to get the driveshaft to lift out of the top of the LU. See bearing This bearing must be visible from the top with all waterpump parts removed including the base. View attachment 177854 *******CAUTION****** Be very careful NOT to grab hold of the driveshaft in the area of the waterpump impellor or housing seal as it will do severe damage to the DS. This is when your holding the shaft to remove the pinion gear nut. View attachment 177856 Do not hold the driveshaft in this area shown in the picture.

mercurymad

Recruit

thanks to all who answered.

i am now waiting for report from insurance. boat and motor insured.