Newbie question

golliday

Cadet
I have done a lot of riding in a boat and having fun and have never owned one until now. Is it a good idea to take the US Coast Guard Auxiliary class for new boat owners? There is one in my area starting Tuesday.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Newbie question

I have done a lot of riding in a boat and having fun and have never owned one until now. Is it a good idea to take the US Coast Guard Auxiliary class for new boat owners? There is one in my area starting Tuesday.

Honestly, I wouldn't launch your boat until you do. It is a requirement in NH to have a license, and I'm glad. I bought my first boat last summer and took it out in big lake water. Glad I studied and took the exam, knew the concepts and safety ahead of time. Had a couple of close calls, but remembered my training. Important to keep your passengers safe most of all! Can be the difference of a great boating day and a very bad one.

golliday

Cadet

Honestly, I wouldn't launch your boat until you do. It is a requirement in NH to have a license, and I'm glad. I bought my first boat last summer and took it out in big lake water. Glad I studied and took the exam, knew the concepts and safety ahead of time. Had a couple of close calls, but remembered my training. Important to keep your passengers safe most of all! Can be the difference of a great boating day and a very bad one.

Thanks Dylboss for the great advice. I have to have a license here in GA as well.

Capt Craig

Cadet

I would like to thank you for being willing to take a class and learn about boating! While not required in many places, it probably should be! Welcome to the world of boating!!

NYBo

Admiral

Not that I have any bias at all (pay no attention to the avatar behind the curtain), my answer would be YES!!!:D

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Absolutely!!!!

You dont realize how much you dont know until you take the course.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the new boat and welcome aboard. I agree with all the posters above. Good luck, have fun and stay safe (which you will by taking the class!).

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, definitely a good idea:)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

DEFINITELY YES! Great bunch of people, you will learn much more than you can with on line state run courses, AND you can take further studies (advanced courses) if you decide that it interests you. Course tuition will be the BEST money you will ever spend. You will NEVER regret it. If you are married or in a long term relationship, try to have your significant other take it too--Great bonding experience.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Absolutley take the course!!! You will pick up alot of usefull info. Also might meet some new boating friends.

Really the course is very good and gives you and people with you much more knowledege and confidence on the water.

Welcome to boating!!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Absolutely!!!!

You dont realize how much you dont know until you take the course.

Hit the nail right on the head, Mike!

golliday, you won't regret it- it'll make your time on the water much more enjoyable, and safer for everybody.

"The Captain", Camille, my wife and I all joined our local Power Squadron chapter ("Captree") after taking a safe boating class. Since then, we've all completed the Seamanship course, the Captain and I are wrapping up a Navigation course right now; and we're starting another in Marine Electrics and Electronics next week.

Another of our members is starting a "sail-boat sailing" class in a couple of weeks. I'm taking that one, too, "just because" :)

Some of the neatest people you'll meet belong to the USPS and other, similar organizations. We have social stuff going on all season long, and the wealth of knowledge and experience available is invaluable to novices like me (and you!).

golliday

Cadet

Thank you all for the input. Both my wife and our 7 year old son are going to take the class. We want to be safe and at least have a good understanding of this fun yet complicated new hobby