Configuring a router as a switch-CONFLICT or FAIL?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
This post revisits an earlier subject but I just got around to executing what I thought I had a handle on. My system is fiber optic DSL. I have a Quest ActionTech 1000 combination modem/4 port router/wireless router. I have been running successfully on that setup for both wireless and wired network. The problem is that I still do not have enough wired ports so I had eliminate some points. To compound things I just had to install a Network Extender to receive the cell phone signal in the house. Even though I do not understand why, the network extender hooks to an ethernet port. Soooooo, I resurrected the 8 port router issue

Previously, when I was using broadband cable, I used an 8 port Netgear router to handle all my connections. When I tried to use it with my new DSL modem, it did not work.

What I did this time around (learned from previous post) is I turned off the DHCP function on the 8 port Netgear, then connected a lead between the modem/router to one of the 8 line out ports on the netgear. At first this seemed to work. Very soon it was apparent that something was goofy. My two primary PCs continued to function just fine but wired computers further away became intermittent with an internet connection. My Network Extender also intermittently showed a failed connection. In addition I have two laptops (one from a friend trying to diagnose an Outlook Express issue). Both of those would be intermittent in their wireless hookup.

Bottom line is that I just reverted back to the limited modem/ router only. All the appliances connected to it are now back to working just fine.

What could be going on? What am I missing? It was supposed to be simple to turn that Netgear Router into a switch.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Configuring a router as a switch-CONFLICT or FAIL?

You mentioned that the issue was with the computers furthest away. If this were an electrical issue (which it sort of is) it would sound like you don't have enough power or the wires are too long or too small. Maybe the router doesn't output enough power for that long of a run or you need to rewire with better cables (things change with age)? Maybe try to set the problem computers in the same room as the router with short cables to see if the problem continues.

The other problem could be IP address conflicts, but the computers with this issue should show a warning. I think when I did something similar last year I had to set something to a static IP address to keep IP address conflicts from happening.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You mentioned that the issue was with the computers furthest away. If this were an electrical issue (which it sort of is) it would sound like you don't have enough power or the wires are too long or too small. Maybe the router doesn't output enough power for that long of a run or you need to rewire with better cables (things change with age)? Maybe try to set the problem computers in the same room as the router with short cables to see if the problem continues.

The other problem could be IP address conflicts, but the computers with this issue should show a warning. I think when I did something similar last year I had to set something to a static IP address to keep IP address conflicts from happening.

The wires are all Cat5 and the and they all worked fine before I tried to employ the 8 port Netgear with the ActionTec DSL modem. It had worked fine behind the broadband cable modem. Also the wireless Laptops serviced by the stand alone ActionTec modem/wireless router worked well. After, they did not.

On one of my PC's I did get an IP conflict message at the outset. That went away and never showed back up while the Netgear was in the loop. That is why I mentioned possible conflict in my post title. If that is the case, I wouldn't have a clue how to remedy that. I would, however, like to employ the 8 port router

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wires are all Cat5 and the and they all worked fine before I tried to employ the 8 port Netgear. Also the wireless Laptops serviced by the initial modem/wireless router worked well. After, they did not.

On one of my PC's I did get an IP conflict message at the outset. That went away and never showed back up while the Netgear was in the loop. That is why I mentioned possible conflict in my post title. If that is the case, I wouldn't have a clue how to remedy that. I would, however, like to employ the 8 port router

So they worked with a different router/switch, so maybe it is that the 8 port is outputting less power. Wires and electronics do get old. Plus if you have any tight bends or if the cables are close to any electrical wires that could cause issues as well. It would still be worth a shot to try it closer with a short cable just to see.

If you got an IP address conflict message, the conflict usually doesn't go away on it's own, even if the message does. I think on mine the second router was trying to use the same IP address as one of the computers, so I set it to a static address. Look at what IP address each problematic computer and the second router is using.

fishrdan

Admiral

Why not add a 4 or 8 port switch to the Actiontec, that would be the simplest solution . A 10/100 switch is only $20-30, gig (10/100/1000) switch $40-50.

The only way "I would" use the Netgear router is to configure it to run off the Actiontec (Netgear's WAN port into the Actiontec's LAN port) then configure the Netgear to communicate through the Actiontec. Though, it sounds like that didn't work before.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Why not add a 4 or 8 port switch to the Actiontec, that would be the simplest solution . A 10/100 switch is only $20-30, gig (10/100/1000) switch $40-50.

The only way "I would" use the Netgear router is to configure it to run off the Actiontec (Netgear's WAN port into the Actiontec's LAN port) then configure the Netgear to communicate through the Actiontec. Though, it sounds like that didn't work before.

First of all the Netgear 8 port router worked perfectly fine when it was hooked to a broadband cable modem (no router capability) Having switched to optical DSL the modem (actiontec) is a combination modem/router w/4 outlet ports/wireless router. So being a router of it's own accord, it conflicted with the default settings of the Netgear router. That is when I went in and disabled the DHCP function and ran a cable from one of the 4 router ports on the ActionTec to one of the eight outlet ports on the Netgear. (not sure about WAN port vs LAN ports). Maybe with the DHCP function disabled, I should have run the cable from the ActionTec out port to the Netgear In port??? Anyway, other than disabling the DHCP function, I made no other config changes in the Netgear.

The reason I would like to use the Netgear is because I had just purchased it a short time before we switched from cable to DSL. I hate to have all this used gear pile up only to eventually throw it in the trash. I already have a functioning Lynksys 4 port router taking up shelf space. I didn't want to have to add the Netgear to that pile.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Cat 5, 6, 6a, enhanced ETC go about 300 feet max for optimum connectivity.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Cat 5, 6, 6a, enhanced ETC go about 300 feet max for optimum connectivity.

The one computer that was having intermittent internet access issues with the ActionTec modem/router and Netgear 8 port router was about 24 cable feet away. My Verizon Network Extender, that was going in and out of reception is about 6 cable feet away. In addition to those, I had two PCs that were also about 6 cable feet away, they had no issues. Both wireless laptops would hook up, then lose it. Now that the Netgear has been taken out of the loop, everything works without hitches or lapses.

matt167

Captain

If I'm reading this right, your getting IP conflicts with the 8 port router utilized. I think you need to disable the comm side of the router. Sounds like it's still giving out IP addresses so DHCP is still active. Weird. disconnect the actual dsl router from the computer circuit and see if a computer can obtain an IP address. CMD Ipconfig / renew will work. If it comes back, DHCP is still running

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If I'm reading this right, your getting IP conflicts with the 8 port router utilized. I think you need to disable the comm side of the router. Sounds like it's still giving out IP addresses so DHCP is still active. Weird. disconnect the actual dsl router from the computer circuit and see if a computer can obtain an IP address. CMD Ipconfig / renew will work. If it comes back, DHCP is still running

Do you mean to leave everything else hooked up but disconnect the incoming DSL line from the modem router the do a CMD ipconfig check?

matt167

Captain

Yes.. That should verify if the router is still giving out IP addresses, which I suspect is the issue

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yes.. That should verify if the router is still giving out IP addresses, which I suspect is the issue

If that is the case, do you see a remedy? Also, which ports should I be using? Also I am not clear on which port(s) I should be using to run the cable from the Modem/ router to the Netgear. Should I use the normal signal in port or go in on one of the 8 out ports?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know I'm a bit late to this, but another option is to run the Qwest in bridge mode - this effectively turns it into a modem only (disabling its all-in-one functions) so you can use your Netgear router as you did before. This is what i'll be doing when it is upgrade time as my current router has special features that the all-in-ones from the cable company don't have.

If you Google the Qwest's model number and "bridge mode" there are a bunch of threads showing how to do it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I know I'm a bit late to this, but another option is to run the Qwest in bridge mode - this effectively turns it into a modem only (disabling its all-in-one functions) so you can use your Netgear router as you did before. This is what i'll be doing when it is upgrade time as my current router has special features that the all-in-ones from the cable company don't have.

If you Google the Qwest's model number and "bridge mode" there are a bunch of threads showing how to do it.

I'm afraid that if I were able to do that it would also disable the wireless modem part, as well. In the mean time, I am being well served by my new 8 port Netgear Switch.