Opinion On 2005 Merc 150 Carbed

MarshMan73

Seaman
Well, I'm still looking for a replacement motor for my old tired 86 Merc 175 for my V20 Cuddy. Compression on it is down to 100psi and getting real hard to start sometimes due to that. It has been used extensively in salt water which makes rebuilding out of the question for me.
I have found a 2005 Mercury 150 HP that is carbed for sale with 6 hours on rebuild less controls and prop for $3900. Is this a good deal? I want to stay carbed unless I buy a brand new motor with a warranty which is just not happening on my budget. Looks like a lot of the parts are interchangeable with my old motor so I would have spare parts from mine. Will the prop and controls swap right over to this motor from mine? Also can I expect the bolt holes to line up with my old motor so that I simply unbolt it and bolt the new one on?

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Opinion On 2005 Merc 150 Carbed

Well, I'm still looking for a replacement motor for my old tired 86 Merc 175 for my V20 Cuddy. Compression on it is down to 100psi and getting real hard to start sometimes due to that. It has been used extensively in salt water which makes rebuilding out of the question for me.
I have found a 2005 Mercury 150 HP that is carbed for sale with 6 hours on rebuild less controls and prop for $3900. Is this a good deal? I want to stay carbed unless I buy a brand new motor with a warranty which is just not happening on my budget. Looks like a lot of the parts are interchangeable with my old motor so I would have spare parts from mine. Will the prop and controls swap right over to this motor from mine? Also can I expect the bolt holes to line up with my old motor so that I simply unbolt it and bolt the new one on?

Look for a EFI. EFI's are not Optimax's. Optimax's are DFI. EFI's seem to be a little better overall than carb'd motors but the carb'd motors have the advantage of being easy to work on. EFI's aren't difficult by any means but they're fuel system is a little more involved. When you look at them in their basic form, they're just an electronicly controlled carburator.

Both carb and EFI 2005's are reliable. If you ever intend on jetting a carb'd model for high altitude make sure you pay close attention to the size of the jets in the various carbs. They can differ from cylinder to cylinder.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A lot of the parts from your old motor will fit the new one. The Gearcase and prop will likely fit, however, I would look on the SEI site and see if they sell the same replacement gearcase for both motors, to clinch it.

The mounting bolt holes will fit, as will the shift and throttle cables. I don't think the electrics will fit, without you splicing a new engine end onto your boat harness.

Dukedog

Captain

Tha little 150 carb is a good motor. Fairly easy ta work on other than tha newer electronics. But a good shop can feel those out easily..........

Not many of tha powerhead parts will work. Tha 2005 is a 2.5 style 2.0 "fat" block. Top guided rod/piston motor with locater pin O-ring heads. Yours a 2.4 bottom guided rod/piston motor, no pin, gasket head . Its a 40 amp CDM electronics motor where yours is a 16 amp switch box motor so no part interchangin' there. Your carbs n linkage are way outdated and a vertical set up compared ta horizontal and newer stuff. 2 wire trim with relays. Yours a 3wire with solinoids. "bout tha only things ya could interchange with both motors would be tha gearcase. Guess what I'm sayin is tha '86 ain't worth keepin' just for "spare" parts......................JMO

BTW, being a "plain jane" carb 150 your harness may work. If not I think they make an adapter for it.

MarshMan73

Seaman

I went and took a look at it today at the shop. The motor is very clean and looks great. I did spot the heavy duty dual rectifiers and thick coiled stator under the flywheel. Carb setup IS way different than mine. Are they using two carbs feeding 3 cylinders each or are they just that much smaller than mine? They were more than happy to hook it up and run it as long as I liked and put compression tester on it, but it was just too cold today for me.

Dukedog

Captain

Sounds like ya like it. Sounds like they are pretty confident about it also. Tha compression test will tell. Like said, they are really good motors. Its probably tha most bullet proof motor they build. It should have three WMV carburators on it. Just look smaller than tha WH's on your motor. One carb feeds two clyinders. Good luck which ever way ya go.

MarshMan73

Seaman

Decisions, decisions! Another motor popped up. It is a 1999 Johnson 150 for $1000 less than the 2005Merc. What will have to happen to make it work on my boat? Would it be better than a Merc?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The Design, weight and power of the Merc and the Johnnyrude are fairly similar. The controls and electrics are quite different. I would recommend either, however, see what the new controls and new props will cost you for the Johnnyrude.

I have both motors('98 Johnny 150HPV6, '91 Merc 135HPV6), so I have some insight into them.