Ranger Boat - Replace Run/Charge Switch and set up batteries...Need help

wesandflor

Recruit
First of all, thanks for having me on forum. This is my first post. I did search, but am not finding what I need.

I am working on a 1984 Ranger 373-V. It has a Mercury 150. It belongs to a friend of mine. His dad bought it new and has passed and the boat seems to have a lot of sentimental value. I think it has only been in the water 10-12 times. It looks really nice, maybe it could be buffed? I have removed the tanks and cleaned them. Cleaned the carbs. The engine wouldn't run before, but it starts and sounds really good now. Cleaned the gutter from front to back ( I don't know what it is called). It had mice in it before, they chewed up a foam, but I finally got it all out. Water flows from the live wells and drains like it is suppose to, now. Cleaned it up some, and now I seem to be down to two major problems:

1. Won't steer. I think the steering rod is stuck in the tilt tube (I hope I am using correct terms).

2. I need help with the wiring for the trolling motor. The boat had four batteries. I may be wrong, but I believe it is suppose to have three batteries. The four cables running to the trolling motor (red, orange, black, white) were disconnected from the batteries. I don't know which batteries they go to. I am pretty sure red and orange are POSITIVE. The two breakers (on red and orange) were flipped OFF. The toggle switch in the front panel had flamed out. I replaced it with with a 20 amp double pole double throw toggle switch. Is this correct? I also replaced a few of the wires between the terminal block and toggle switch. I want to double check the wiring in the front panel but I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my post. Wes

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ranger Boat - Replace Run/Charge Switch and set up batteries...Need help

If the trolling motor was a 36 volt unit you need three batteries in series (12 x 3 = 36). that leaves one battery to run the engine and accessories. If the trolling motor is a 24 volt unit, you need two batteries in series (12 x 2 = 24). That leaves two batteries for the engine. One of those is the primary starting battery and other is an auxiliary. Those two are usually connected to either a dual battery switch (OFF-BAT1-BOTH-BAT2) an isolator, or an automatic charge relay. The wires for the trolling motor need to be properly paired. The red and orange are the positives from each battery (24 volt system) to the bow panel. You need to determine which of the ground wires (white and black) belong to the red and orange. It doesn't matter which battery the pairs get connected to, but the pairing must be correct.

wesandflor

Recruit

Thanks, I appreciate that information. It does explain a lot to me because I am not used to working on or with boats and trolling motors. I wish I could see a diagram for the switch, receptacle, and terminal block in the front panel. Also, I wish i knew how many batteries the boat came with.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most small boats come with 1 battery, which is minimum for a boat. From there as accessories are added and upgraded more can be added.
It just all depends on what the previous owners were trying to do.

About the best thing a new owner could do when he has several batteries is make a wiring diagram and trace out each battery cable and where it goes. nothing fancy to start. Hand drawn on paper with a pencil. Then clean it up and see what you have and what works what.
It would also be very helpful to know what model number and manufacturer, and voltage of the trolling motor is.

You would be surprised at how easy that can make it for you to understand the system. You can even scan it and post it here as a picture if you have questions.

How to Post Pictures - The Basics - Page 1 - 468676

look at the trolling motor and see what voltage it is. there may be a switch on the side of the peddle that has a voltage selector like 12/24. the ranger is a heavy boat as it has a lot of built in gear so if it was my boat i would just wire it straight 24v as the 12v option is never realy going to be used.

wesandflor

Recruit

I appreciate all of the information. I was fixing it for a friend and trying to put it back the way it is suppose to be. Part of my problem is I don't know how it is suppose to be.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your best bet would be to contact Ranger Boats -- they built it. The problem is that there are so darned many combinations of this infernal 12/24 system that we can't provide a diagram unless another Ranger owner happens to have one. I can assure you however, that you do have a 24 volt troller system. One pair of wires goes to each of two batteries as I described. Just make sure the ground wires are paired correctly. If you replaced the run/charge switch correctly the motor should work. That is -- IF the current motor is really a a dual mode (12 OR 24 volt) model. If it has been replaced, then there is a good chance it is a 24 volt only model. That system was terribly inefficient when new (but that's just my opinion of course). See how figuring out the wiring on a 28 year old boat can become complicated for us?