Mercury 15 lower unit help please

I have broken a gear in the lower unit of my 15 2-stroke Mercury. I don't see replacement units listed for this motor on the iboats parts site.

I have several questions:

Is it practical to rebuild these units? If so, where can i find parts.

I have a 9.9 lower unit here with a longer shaft. The lower unit cases appear to be the same except for the bushings for the shorter and beefier shaft from the 15. Is there a practical way to swap those shaft bushing? Or can the ones in the 9.9 unit be replaced with new ones, allowing me to use that lower unit on the 15 hp motor?

Any help will be appreciated.

Dave

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Mercury 15 lower unit help please

What years your merc?
Sounds like you might as well pull it apart to see what needs replacing.
Have a look around on crowley marine or a few other sites and you will most likely be in luck especially if you live in the US.
Ive just pulled my 50hp LU apart, not too bad at all ONCE when you get the techniques right. I wouldnt think yours would be much different. Just be careful removing the big ring nut that keeps in the bearing carrier because on small LUs ive seen them break if hit too hard with a chisel and not the right tool
Theres some good comments from people on it
http://forums.iboats.com/mercury-mariner-outboards/redband-50hp-gearbox-problem-586271.html