Repair metallic gel coat?

RBuch1974

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a bass boat and all of the flat sun exposed surfaces are faded. It surface does not feel smooth and seems that the bumpy surface is due to being able the feel the large flecks of mettalic.

Can I wet sand and buff?

Is there a clear coat that can applied instead?

Or, what could be a solution to restore to new like lustor?

I would prefer to spend little money, this is a first boat and I would like to make it a nice as a cheap budget will afford.

Thank you!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repair metallic gel coat?

Based on your description, I don't believe there's a cheap easy way to restore the metalic gelcoat. YOu are prettymuch gunna have to sand it down smooth and Prime and Paint it. That's my opinion, others may come along with different point of view.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Unfortunately I believe he is correct.

I tried, my boat had a clear coat attempt already that pealed real bad. I must have spent a ton of hours trying to clean it up and fix it, but I finally gave in and painted the boat.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Nice cheap boats don't exist... especially if they're fiberglass.

You may be able to do a wet sand, buff, and wax restore if the metal flake is silver... maybe.

If the metal flake is a different color than silver it won't work, you'll sand the color off of the metal flake and it'll turn silver.

What does the interior look like? If the hull is weathered, then the interior is usually weathered too due to being exposed to the elements.

First time boat buyers don't realize that when you a fiberglass... or any boat really that has been left exposed to the elements, you're buying a bunch of problems that will require work and money to fix.

I'd venture to say that your boat has much bigger problems than a faded metal flake paint job that you don't know about... but if you'll read some of the fiberglass restoration threads in this forum you will learn what to look for and how to fix your boat up to be seaworthy and safe.

RBuch1974

Seaman Apprentice

Nice cheap boats don't exist... especially if they're fiberglass.

You may be able to do a wet sand, buff, and wax restore if the metal flake is silver... maybe.

If the metal flake is a different color than silver it won't work, you'll sand the color off of the metal flake and it'll turn silver.

What does the interior look like? If the hull is weathered, then the interior is usually weathered too due to being exposed to the elements.

First time boat buyers don't realize that when you a fiberglass... or any boat really that has been left exposed to the elements, you're buying a bunch of problems that will require work and money to fix.

I'd venture to say that your boat has much bigger problems than a faded metal flake paint job that you don't know about... but if you'll read some of the fiberglass restoration threads in this forum you will learn what to look for and how to fix your boat up to be seaworthy and safe.

Where do I start.... motor ran great first few times in the water. First time out, found it has wrong controller and gear positions are reversed. Did a temp floor repair and will completely remove and replace floor and dry rotted carpet over the winter. Planning to replace motor to little newer/bigger motor. A long way to say yes your right. So the gel coat is in the to-do list

RBuch1974

Seaman Apprentice

I tried, my boat had a clear coat attempt already that pealed real bad. I must have spent a ton of hours trying to clean it up and fix it, but I finally gave in and painted the boat.

What kind of paint and how did you apply?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I agree . .. prep it .. prime it .. Paint it.

Dont even try to go into that 'restore my metal flake gelcoat' avenue ..

Research the paints out there to see what fits your wallet and your outcome.

YD.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I used interlux brightsides/ Precoat primer.

You can roll and tip it or spray it. Roll and tip works great but since I molded my cap and hull into one, I had problems getting all the way around without have a obvious start/ end point. I don't see how anyone could have to much trouble though on a normal boat with a rub rail.

There are lots of threads on here about painting your boat. Lots of good info.