Gasoline Fumes Detector

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
I know this could go in a different thread but I am going to try the ss guys first since I am a ss boat owner myself and have found you guys helpful. Do any of you have a gasoline fume detector installed in your bilge. I am thinking of purchasing a MB-1-R gas fume detector (sold at Iboats and other locations) after reading about a boat fire on iboats from a i/o boat that had fumes in the bilge.
I know use the blower and I do and I check my bilge before start up for leaks, fumes. I caught a leaky fuel pump one day before I started the engine.
But it only takes one time to forget or what about if you are underway and develop a fuel leak.
these fume detectors sound like a great idea, but wanted to check to see if anyone has one and what you think of it.
I.e. have you tested it with a small container of gas next to the sensor.
Any false readings if it going off and no fuel leaks.
Thanks,

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Gasoline Fumes Detector

I think it sounds like a great idea better safe than sorry . I havent finished my boat yet but will look into one for mine when it gets closer .

Rick

elkhunter338

Well to my fellow starcrafters who have gas. I/O's I guess the outboard guys might also find this interesting since their fuel tanks are inside the boat.
I just bought a gasoline fumes detector for my starcraft. I bought the fireboy.
I installed it today in the dash and still have to mount the sender. But it works. You can power up the unit and place the sender near an open can of gas and sure enough after a few seconds it lights up a red light then sounds an alarm.
I did not want the unit on 24/7 so I wired it into my radio circuit (gps, fishfinder, marine radio). I turn this on before I start the boat and leave it on while drifting. I also wanted the detector on when the main engine is turned off.
This detector does not take the place of any safety checks, running the blower and such just adds another safety device that will warn you of gasoline in the bilge.
My main reason for this is if the boat develops a gasoline leak while out fishing I know about it ASAP.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Great Idea but got to say Love those Evenrude/Johnsons.

I know this could go in a different thread but I am going to try the ss guys first since I am a ss boat owner myself and have found you guys helpful. Do any of you have a gasoline fume detector installed in your bilge. I am thinking of purchasing a MB-1-R gas fume detector (sold at Iboats and other locations) after reading about a boat fire on iboats from a i/o boat that had fumes in the bilge.
I know use the blower and I do and I check my bilge before start up for leaks, fumes. I caught a leaky fuel pump one day before I started the engine.
But it only takes one time to forget or what about if you are underway and develop a fuel leak.
these fume detectors sound like a great idea, but wanted to check to see if anyone has one and what you think of it.
I.e. have you tested it with a small container of gas next to the sensor.
Any false readings if it going off and no fuel leaks.
Thanks,

THINK ABOUT AN AUTO FIRE EXTINQUISHER TOO...SORRY CAPS STUCK...

elkhunter338

Yes, I have 2 fire extinguisher on board. I just wanted another safety item just incase a fuel leak starts after I leave dock.
My list of safety items are a emergency bag with flare kit, hand held gps, hand held marine radio, extra batteries.

My boat has 2 fire extinguishers, base marine radio, another gps, compass, cb, life jackets plus a couple spares, 2 cushions, 400 feet of anchor rope, aux. kicker motor, spare fuel filter, and few other items.
I thought it wise to add a gasoline fume detector.