winterize a bravo 1....

ssawyers

Recruit
hello all. First time posting because I just purchased a boat this summer. Looking to winterize my Powerquest Raizor 22. It has a 454 mpi with a Bravo 1 outdrive. My local boat shop wants $350 to winterize the boat. Do I need to purchase the special flush muffs for the Bravo 1? Also they were talking about a powersteering cooler and a fuel cooler that is cooled by water also. Just want to do this right the first time and dont want to get ready next season and discover I had done this wrong! Any info would be great!!! Thanks Shane :cool:

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: winterize a bravo 1....

What are you getting for your $350? Are they pulling the drive and checking alignment? Oil/filter change and outdrive lube change? Impeller replacement? If they're charging you that just to run antifreeze through the system, that's excessive, but my guess is there is more to the "winterization" than that.

Boat maintenance is expensive. Not doing boat maintenance is even more expensive. Sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to just pay a pro to do it right.

ssawyers

Recruit

Just want to prepare the boat for winter storage. Not many high end boat dealers in my area. The local guy said to drop it back in the water and ad fuel stalbilizer then pull it out and remove all drain petcocks and fill with rv antifreeze. The special muffs for the Bravo 1 are $80 from mercury. Im a little anal when it come to my toys and didnt like the answer. I wanted to flush the system because the last time I was out the water was nasty. I can get the serial # if this will help.
Thanks Shane

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you even look at the link I gave you in my previous reply?

What are these Special muff you are talking about? Got a link so we can see what is costing $80?

yes the SN will help, that's why I asked for it.

ssawyers

Recruit

They cover the front intake. Local shop told me to duct tape the front intake and use the standard muffs on the side intake. I have tried to locate them but no luck. He had them in his mercruiser catalog and are not available in aftermarket. Its apparent that if nobody knows what im talking about then I dont need them. lol Thanks Shane

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They cover the front intake. Local shop told me to duct tape the front intake and use the standard muffs on the side intake. I have tried to locate them but no luck. He had them in his mercruiser catalog and are not available in aftermarket. Its apparent that if nobody knows what im talking about then I dont need them. lol Thanks Shane

Why we need serial numbers. Bravo I has been around since 88. Lots of changes from then to know. The other problem is Mercruiser lists things by SN and SN range, not by year. So right now, all we know is you have a 454 MPI with a Bravo I, but no clue as to what specific version you have.

ssawyers

Recruit

emilsr, Thats it!! Heading out , I will get serial #s over the weekend . Thanks Shane

ssawyers

Recruit

Ok the outdrive has the #OL43538 stamped into it with serial #150R. The engine # I could not read plainly #OL347100. Also the lower unit has no intake holes on the side or the front. What to do? Thanks Shane