Composite props????????????

leer94

Seaman Apprentice
first, keep in mind, unlike alot of bass boat guys...I could care less about performance and speed...

I was talking to my Brother in laws father ( who has always had boats since the 60's). We were talking about props.
I need a new one.

He suggested that I consider composite props.
I was not going to replace my SS with another SS...was thinking I would go alum. He mentioned that one problem with an SS prop is that the prop does not "give". If you bump something, because the prop does not "give" you run more risk of damaging the LU...where as with a composite, they are cheap to replace and if you bump something the prop "gives" ( or breaks) and lessens the risk of damaging LU gears.

Any thought or comments on that?
or composite props in general???

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Composite props????????????

Regardless how hard you "bump" something, you risk damaging "something". Some composite props have replacable blades so that might be a good choice if you routinely "bump" into things. However, composite and aluminum get pretty close in price so I see no reason to run plastic.

robert graham

Admiral

I've studied on those composite props(Comprop) and if I ran my boat where there was lots of stumps, rocks,etc.,I'd definitely get a couple of them(one spare). Mostly where we boat there's just sand bars and some oyster beds and if I can avoid hitting these at full throttle then probably not going to destroy a lower end. My motor takes about 15" of water, I run a stainless prop and keep one eye on that depth finder all the time, but it doesn't take but one old submerged stump to ruin your day. Good Luck!

180shabah

Rear Admiral

...and don't forget, modern props have a hub made from, rubber, delrin or some other soft material that is designed to "tear away" on impact. The generally have enough friction to keep the prop spinning at idle to get you home. If you sheer blades - you don't move.

I am a big fan of the Hustler/Legacy prop as a good all around choice. If you prefer a four blade prop, many on here have suggested the Solas. I've never used one, but my hustler has better holeshot then my fou blade comprop did. The hustler has never left me immobile either. It actually has better hole shot than an old Quicksilver shifting prop I have.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

if it was me, i would just got with aluminum.

mcsmonkeyshine

Recruit

I have had two and they chip pretty easy after a while, the eventually will desintigrate (SP?) I ran one for about 4 years and it somehow lost a blade at the base, it could have snapped off I do not know, you would assume chipping off not snapping at the cylinder. you do not have to buy all of the inserts and they are handy for a spare, but I would look at aluminium too if I were you. the replaceable blade composite props seem to be a good option, though I do not have one of them