1988 OMC 4.3L Engine block change help?!

Ochoa

Cadet
Hi guys,

I have a 1988 Sunbird Eurosport with a 4.3L OMC/GM V6.

The block has a Giant crack (previous owner) but everything else is in great condition.

I have already stripped the engine down to the block. I am now in search of a used block (junkyards Ect...)

My question:

Does anyone have any idea what GM vehicles have the same base block?

I know ill need to change out a few things like the cam and freeze plugs and what not, but its my understanding that the block from OMC was a standard (marinized) GM block that was used in multiple other vehicles like the blazer, jimmy, S10, and so on...

Has anyone done this? Any specifics would be a great help!

Thanks!
Chris,

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 OMC 4.3L Engine block change help?!

GM block that was used in multiple other vehicles like the blazer, jimmy, S10, and so on...

Ayuh,.... Yer life will be much easier, if ya can find another 1988...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

To add what Bondo said, In 1992 or thereabouts, a balance shaft was added to the 4.3L so the intake manifold changed. If you went with that type engine, you would have to find an intake manifold for a carb as engines out of vehicles will have a manifold for injection. Older models of engines would have the 2 piece rear seal.

Ochoa

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Yer life will be much easier, if ya can find another 1988...

So im looking for a 1988-1991 GM 4.3, preferably a 1988? Do you know what vehicles that came in?

What kind of issue might I run into if I dont find a 1988?

Ochoa

Cadet

To add what Bondo said, In 1992 or thereabouts, a balance shaft was added to the 4.3L so the intake manifold changed. If you went with that type engine, you would have to find an intake manifold for a carb as engines out of vehicles will have a manifold for injection. Older models of engines would have the 2 piece rear seal.

So am I right in saying that im looking for 1988-1991 GM 4.3L and that can be found in vehicles like a jimmy or S10?

I have to replace the intake since mine is cracked as well, so because of that, does that widen my options?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have to replace the intake since mine is cracked as well, so because of that, does that widen my options?
Might as well get as new as possible then and get one with Vortec heads. 96 or newer. Make sure you check availability of intake manifolds for the carb you are using.

Ochoa

Cadet

Might as well get as new as possible then and get one with Vortec heads. 96 or newer. Make sure you check availability of intake manifolds for the carb you are using.

So just to clarify, if i can find a newer block with the vortec heads, will my marine exhaust manifold still bolt up correctly? Along with that, is the bell housing bolt pattern the same? Starter? And so on...

My original plan was to use the same cam shaft from the old block in the new block because I was told that they are different (auto vs marine)

Obviously I would need a new intake that will suite a carb as well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The exhaust will be the same. 90% sure the starter and flywheel is the same so need to check for sure on that.

If the engine comes out of a truck, which most 4.3s are, that cam will be fine.