Idle settings

Davy P

Recruit
Hi I live in New Zealand and I own a V258 Four Winns boat running a 5.7 GXI motor through a DPS-A stern drive. My questions is _ "Can I lower the idle speed down from 750- 800 rpm to say 600 rpm"? The reason being because I use this motor for trolling for trout, but the boat speed is too high at 5 km/hr. Any sugestions would be appreciated!

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Idle settings

If the motor will run at 600rpm, under the load, and keep good oil pressure (20lbs, or better) you should be good. I would think about a prop pitch change, and watch top end rpms, thou.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi I live in New Zealand and I own a V258 Four Winns boat running a 5.7 GXI motor through a DPS-A stern drive. My questions is _ "Can I lower the idle speed down from 750- 800 rpm to say 600 rpm"? The reason being because I use this motor for trolling for trout, but the boat speed is too high at 5 km/hr. Any sugestions would be appreciated!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... That's a problem many, or most all trollin' fishermen have to deal with,...

Turnin' the idle down, won't do what ya wanta do...

You could reprop to a tiny prop, but most of Us just dirty up the hull's flow through the water,...

Over sized trim tabs go along ways in helpin',...
Draggin' 5 gallon pails, or drift socks helps probably the best,..

My boat idles at 'bout 2.5/ 3 mph...
I run my over sized trim tabs down, 'n can get under 2 mph...
Deploy the drift socks, tied to the forward cleats, 'n I can get down to Sub-1 mph...

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If this GXI engine is fuel injected you cannot adjust the idle speed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your idle on that engine is computer controlled and is not adjustable, but it should be idling at 600 rpm, not 750 to 800 rpm. Might be an improperly adjusted throttle cable. Disconnect the throttle cable from the engine and see if it idles down to 600.
You need to get it fixed.