1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

redfury

Commander
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

Crappy sand casting mold IMHO. Quality control is crap. Honestly, Sand cast products are going to be of lesser quality, but when you show a product that looks like it came off a CNC mill, it'd better look that way when you get it. I've seen ads for Sand cast parts and you can see that they are sand cast in the picture. I'd call this clown out for false advertising.

Personally, I'd opt for more expensive/better quality material latches at this point. Why cheap out on something that you want to hold tight? you wouldn't want a day of boating interrupted by something stupid like a broken latch, would you?

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We did more work on our mystery part today, can't post any pics or else it will be a dead giveaway. Also, its going to look dumb until we get the rest of it built.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

is the mystery part a couple giant whip antennas?????????? that'd look cool!

heavy Stainless is the best way to go on boats as far as Im concerned......

Das Boot is looking nice!

Wow, Thrill, you are just flying on your boat. What lit a fire under your butt? I ask because I need it, too! The jumpseat bases are just a work of art. Way to use those creative juices!

Hey Lowkee, it is now JAN 2010!!!!! ~~ I just officially LIT THE FIRE!........

ps a world record largemouth (it tyed the record) was caught 22lbs 4 oz in Japan of all places!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i know the mystery part!!!!!!! it's a wake board tower!!!!

thrillhouse700

Ok, Ill show the pics that will reveal the mystery part. Now we know that some of you won't like it but there is a rather long story behind it.

BUT FIRST!!!
Here is a couple pics of the rear seat box almost ready for paint but hinged up into a storage compartment.
Almostfinishedseatbase.jpg

Seatbasewithhinges.jpg

Ok now here is the mystery part revealed!!!
SubBox.jpg

Glassingbox.jpg

Glassingbox2.jpg

Boxglassed.jpg

thrillhouse700

Megawoofer.jpg

So this thing is massive...... plain and simple.

Now we had plans for a 10" subwoofer that we had laying around, it ended up not working out at all. So our buddy came over the other day and we asked him if he knew of or could get us a subwoofer for cheap. He came by the next day with this monster. Price? FREEEEBIE, the audio shop and him are friends and he gave it to him because it is an old model, we will take it.

So our original plan was to build a fiberglassed sub box that would conform to the front of the engine cover. Well long story short this thing is just tooo big.
So we decided to put it up from in the open bow. Some of you may be thinking that this looks ghetto and awful in the bow, hopefully you guys should know us well enough by now to know we ain't done yet :)

The open bow will be converted into a large padded sundeck type deal. We will build a cushion that will go over the top of this and turn the space in front of the sub box into bow storage.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

thrillhouse700,
I have no question about what you will make it look like. I just hope you don't start killing fish when u turn that sucker on. :D :eek: :D
bob

jspano

looks like a woofer box!
thrill are you and lost going to put alittle bottom in that boat?

thrillhouse700

Im confused on your question jspano? What do you mean by put a bottom in?

thrillhouse700

Oh and to bob, we are building it to be completely removable for when we fish :)
Woofer will be for going to the river or just cruising around.

jspano

bottom = bass
boom,boom,boom

system-f

OHHH let me know what kind of amp you are going to run that with. Also, are you going to upgrade the alt on the boat?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Im confused on your question jspano? What do you mean by put a bottom in?

I think Jspano seen what I did when first looking, the thread went straight to the last post on page 13, For a second there I thought ..no way is that a potta potty{:eek: lol}...must of been looking and replying as you uploaded the final shot.....

Kick out the jams, great idea!

thrillhouse700

haha sorry jspano not hip to the lingo :)

Um as for an amp lost cause has a ginormous amp that won't fit anywhere so we may just rock one out of either of our trucks until we can afford another one. We have a much larger alternator off of lost causes 4x4 that hes scrapping.

Man, a porta potty would be awesome! But the smell may not be kind if its in the front of the boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Marine alternators are designed to not create any sparks that could ignite fuel vapors in your engine compartment. I'm all about saving money but that's one area I wouldn't mess with. Same goes for starters.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

EZ is right, you do not want to put an auto style alternator, starter or anything electrically non marinized into a boat bilge. The boom from your engine compartment will be much greater than the one your sub puts out. If you are going to throw in amps then you need another battery or two with switches, I would also throw in a Capacitor if you are going to have a dedicated Sub Amp. Sub Amps typically draw power in peaks and valleys and a good capacitor will compensate for some of this.

thrillhouse700

we have 3 marine batteries (wont use them all but we have some to choose from), We have a capacitor. No work today on the boat, I woke up in excruciating pain from a kidney stone.

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

My opinion only, don't bother with a cap. Decent battery low impedance (thick) cables. I.e. 4awg. and you'll be fine. As far as I can tell the only difference in marine alternators is they have mesh around all the vents to prevent flames passing through them.

Perhaps someone who has taken one apart personally could also comment on this.

I don't quite know how your going to angle that sub but don't plan to point it upwards into the sky, it would be really wasted like that. Your much better to form some kind of horn loaded cabinet and point it from the front through to the back of the boat. It will be much more efficient. Car audio subs typically have horrid sensitivity values eg 89db@1w/1m and so eat lots of power to play loud.