1989 Yamaha 130 Ignition Switch

mmmckillip

Cadet
The ignition switch on my 1989 Yamaha 130 went out so I bought a universal 3 prong ignition switch at west marine. The new switch has a B for Battery a I for Ignition and a S for Starter. The original ignition isnt marked so I don't know where to atach the wires on the new one. The original has five posts with 2 yellow wires connected to 1, 2 black wires connected to 1, 1 brown wire connected to 1,1 white wire connected to 1, and 1 red wire connected to 1. I know the red is the battery and the brown goes to the silinoid. Where do all the other wires go? Will this work with a three prong switch? Thanks for any input.

Matt

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 1989 Yamaha 130 Ignition Switch

Ain't gonna work. Big difference between 2 stroke switches and automotive switches like the one you bought. Take it back and get the correct one. You can buy aftermarket Yamaha switches that will connect just like the old one.

mmmckillip

Cadet
Re: 1989 Yamaha 130 Ignition Switch

Thanks for the help. West Marine also has a 5 post aftermarket switch. Would that work? I know you can buy an aftermarket Yamaha switch that will just plug in but they are about 3 times the price. Thanks again.