Can't remove the lower unit on a Johnson 9.9

johcar2

Cadet
I drained the gear oil, removed the six bolts, and the lower unit dropped down maybe an 1/8th of an inch, and that was it. Wiggle, pull, it did not come out. What am I missing?

While at this, where do you find the model number on the Johnson 9.9? I've looked and can't find anything but stamped part numbers. It has electronic ignition as what info I've found states that it is 1994 or later. Correct me if that is wrong.

Thanks
John

Patate

Seaman
Re: Can't remove the lower unit on a Johnson 9.9

Did you remove completly the shifter screw with flat screwdriver, it's easyer with le shift lever forward

Fishing4Walleyes

Seaman Apprentice

Does the motor have a round plug in the side of the power head with model and serial number stamped into it?

johcar2

Cadet

Did you remove completly the shifter screw with flat screwdriver, it's easyer with le shift lever forward

On my shifter there are two bolts, look to be 7/16", and a tough place to get to. This is inside the cover, on the right side. I can't get a wrench on either of them enough to loosen either of them. Is this what you are speaking of?

Thanks
John

johcar2

Cadet

Does the motor have a round plug in the side of the power head with model and serial number stamped into it?

Nothing on the side, but there is a metal circular item on the top of the head that has some numbers, but only one set. Let me post a pic on another site and get back to you.

Thanks
John

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

Might have to pull carb or recoil starter to get to the shift rod linkage screw?? I did and it made it easier. Of course I was already servicing the carb.