Ethanol Fuel Test

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Some time ago I indicated that I would post pictures of a long term fuel test on a sample of ethanol blended gasoline (also called E10). A little background is necessary. Those who frequent this forum know that I am not particularly concerned about E10 fuel as in my area (Minnesota) we've used the stuff since 1997. I personally have seen none of the devastation that others have either read about or personally observed but I do understand that there are some issues in coastal areas. I will present three pictures of the fuel sample with a bit of description of what you are looking at, followed by a recommendation and from there you can draw your own conclusions.
Picture #1: The sample.
FuelTest3.jpg

This is a sample of "untreated" E10 (in a 12 oz soda bottle) that dates to August 6, 2009. It has been in this container (vented) since that time and has undergone a 130 degree temperature swing along with the associated humidity changes. This fuel was stored outside for three of the six months and in my garage the last three months. At first glance you would think the brown stuff at the top looks awful. Actually that brown color is the very top of the fuel level as the camera is looking upward through the liquid column. It is of no consequence whatsoever. It is the dark color at the bottom of the container that we will be discussing.

Picture #2: A close up
FuelTest1.jpg

This and the other pictures were taken looking upward throught the container, with the container tilted toward the camera. This moved the separation into one of the indentations at the bottom of the container. The discoloration on the other areas of the container represent merely trace amounts and are also of no consequence. The amount of separation in the indentation facing you would in my view, amount to the displacement of perhaps a nickel and that might be a stretch.

Picture #3: Moisture content
FuelTest2.jpg

If you look at the indentation at the right you can see very small bubbles of moisture. There is no actual moisture (an actual layer of water) in this sample except for what you see.

This is certainly not a scientific experiment but it reinforces my feelings that 6-month old E10, even untreated will not generally cause any runability problems. I poured the contents of this test into my snowblower. My suggestion for E10 users is this: Use a fuel system treatment like Stabil Marine, SeaFoam or any of the engine manufacturers fuel treatments and go boating. If you have an older motor and are just switching to E10, clean the fuel tank, change the fuel lines, change the fuel filter, and go boating. If the engine does begin to act up, do not continue to run it that way. Chances are the carb(s) and the fuel pump now need rebuilding with ethanol tolerant components. The engine itself doesn't care about E10. If you live in a coastal area or have a very large boat with extremely large fuel tanks but don't use large amounts of fuel you may want to implement additional moisture protection measures.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ethanol Fuel Test

At the local marina they have a jar of separated e-10 on the counter.

I asked the guy how old it was he said he wasn't sure but after shaking it up, it will separate again in less time then it takes to ring up my purchases.

He was right it didn't take 1 minute for the fuel to separate to a very dramatic display (results were a lot more pronounce then your sample).

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

This is certainly not a scientific experiment but it reinforces my feelings that 6-month old E10, even untreated will not generally cause any runability problems. I poured the contents of this test into my snowblower. My suggestion for E10 users is this: Use a fuel system treatment like Stabil Marine, SeaFoam or any of the engine manufacturers fuel treatments and go boating. If you have an older motor and are just switching to E10, clean the fuel tank, change the fuel lines, change the fuel filter, and go boating. If the engine does begin to act up, do not continue to run it that way. Chances are the carb(s) and the fuel pump now need rebuilding with ethanol tolerant components. The engine itself doesn't care about E10. If you live in a coastal area or have a very large boat with extremely large fuel tanks but don't use large amounts of fuel you may want to implement additional moisture protection measures.

Yet you just posed a WHOLE bunch of "runability" problems...:rolleyes:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

This is very interesting and brings home a point that I think about often. The point is consideration for contaminated fuel in boats that remain on the water for extended periods of time and the quality of the fuel available at the marina.

Say you have a 30' boat and you work in say Chicago, NYC, or Miami to name a few. Your job is demanding and you just don't have the ability to get away very often. Well, your boat is just sitting there all year waiting for your vacation to arrive so that you can take her out and have some fun.

So you load all the gear, jump in with the family/friends, hit the starter and cough gurgle burp......

How do you deal with that?

I picked up on a product made in Ft. Lauderdale by Starbrite and it is an enzyme treatment. They have it for diesel and gas. Well the location of the facility says something to me about why the facility is located there. Possibly the company got it's start by a guy/gal (s) that had boats there (cause there are a lot of big ones there that surely spend a lot of time on the ropes) and they had the problem I mentioned and decided to do something about it. I just started using the diesel version in my farm diesel tanks. Use Stabil or Sea Foam in the gas tanks around the place. Too early for me to tell if the Starbright works.

What do you think/know?

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The service desk sample was probably taken from a huge tank that sat unused for an unknown amount of time and from an unknown source or possibly from the marinas own tank which are notorious for having water in them. Ever been to a tranny shop and looked at the samples of tranny fluid. I have rebuilt lots of automatic tranny's in my day and I've never seen one with fluid the color of black shoe polish. How long do you think it took to find fluid that color. If the sample is being used as a way to scare people, they should at least label it to at least provide a modest description of where it came from and storage conditions. In my view it is simply a way to justify running up shop fees. If the problem is as bad as folks seem to think it is, my sample should apparently have an inch or more of separation. It clearly does not.

Seabob --Ethanol is an excellent fuel system cleaner so if you never used a fuel system treatment in the past, do not have a water separating fuel filter, and have an older engine, that combination was living on borrowed time. Ethanol will clean up the system, deposit the debris in the fuel filter and some may sneak through to the carbs or injectors. You see -- prevention works which is why I made the suggestions I did. If you own a newer motor it has been built with ethanol tolerant components. If you don't have the water separating filter, it would behoove you to add one. Simple and cheap (compared to other boating stuff). How long do you expect engine manufacturers and oil companies to make products that are backward compatible. Good heavens, most products these days are obsolete in seven years and parts are no longer available unless an aftermarket supplier deems it profitable to make them. An engine manufacturer has no idea what lame-brained idea our government will mandate next month much less years down the road. Ethanol is here and we simply need to adapt to it. Failure to make the necessary precautions will cost you.

gss036

Commander

Startbrite works great on gas. I use it sometimes, otherwise I use Stabil. I put a qt of Stabil in my 75 gal tank in October and really thought I would use the boat in Dec and here it is almost the middle of January and because heath problems, I still haven't been out. Hopefully soon and I am depending on the Stabil to have done the job it was designed to do. I also use SeaFoam, but mostly to clean out the carbs on my older motors.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

one suggestion... plastic, ESPECIALLY pop bottles, are not 100% impervious to petro products. Used to store leftover pre-mix in gallon jug containers, until I picked up one and the bottom stayed on the ground, it had more or less dissolved the plastic.

If you do more testing, make sure to have a control sample of non-ethanol gas, as well as using glass containers for all testing.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

one suggestion... plastic, ESPECIALLY pop bottles, are not 100% impervious to petro products. Used to store leftover pre-mix in gallon jug containers, until I picked up one and the bottom stayed on the ground, it had more or less dissolved the plastic.

Hahaha! I've done the exact same thing. Milk jugs seem perfect for holding gas, but dissolve in short order. Those things are recycled more times than.. well.. most anything. Funny to hear about someone else doing that boneheaded move. Happened to me a good 25 years ago and I still can see it happen.

Yacht Davits

Banned

Good information about E10. It's good tips clean the fuel tank and change the fuel lines when switching to E10.

mikeroche

Seaman Apprentice

i did the same kind of test, regular gas ok ,try it with mixed gas,it wont stay mixed very long,turns a yellowish,shake it up,turns back in minutes,then i poured water in it,three different levals,mixed gas and ethanol are not friends

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

regular gas and water are not friends either so what's your point?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Oh yeah I agree they should KNOW where the sample is from that they are showing people, that's why I pointed out that he didn't.

But it definitely shows that once your e-10 has separated you have a tank of bad fuel that you need to drain/ empty and trash.

I don't think there is any doubt that once it's trashed you have a problem which includes the acid layer eating your tank.

How long and what environmental conditions affect how long???

That would take a lot more study- hey that's something we could do though, a test done by people in different parts of the country / enviroments.

I'm up for it, lets do some science!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Silvertip that a properly managed fuel supply should suffer little if any effects from the use of E-10.

A comments about the experiment:

Absorption is a function of the surface area. In the experiment he exposed roughly 5 square inches of surface area and came up with nickel sized accumulation of water. Had he vented the bottle in a manner that the bottle could have been laid on it?s side, he would have exposed roughly 17 square inches of surface that would have absorbed roughly 3.5 times as much water for the given quantity of fuel. Agitating the fuel would have produced even greater surface area and a larger accumulation of water.

E-10 will absorb and hold water in suspension up to 0.5% (actual percentage varies by the temperature of the fuel) by volume. The fact that there is free water in the bottom tells us that this limit was exceeded at one point or another causing the water to seperate from the fuel and fall to the bottom. The seperation could have been the result of the fuel exceeding its saturation point or it could have been the result of a change in the fuels temperture.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

But it definitely shows that once your e-10 has separated you have a tank of bad fuel that you need to drain/ empty and trash.
You don't need to trash anything.

Separation is nothing more than the water coming out of suspension in the fuel and settling to the bottom of the tank. With it comes some percentage of ethanol so your octane rating may have been compromised as well. In order to make the fuel serviceable again just remove the free water from the bottom of the tank and top off with a higher grade fuel than normal to raise the octane of the remaining fuel. The two time I was hit (both times from water in service station tanks) I siphoned the water off the bottom of the tank and topped off the tanks with 93 octane fuel. I picked up a little water in Racor the next couple of times out but nothing the filter couldn?t handle.

jokaj

Seaman

I don't run my boat empty each time I go out. Assuming the gas is taken from the bottom or near bottom of the gas tank, the layer on top will just get larger and larger each time you gas up. Eventually, IMHO it will be a problem w/o some sort of stabilizer.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Failure to use a fuel system treatment "before" E10 was an issue as well. It just didn't occur as quickly as with E10. Up here in the tundra before E10, wintertime absolutely required the use of fuel system de-icers to prevent fuel system freeze up. That's no longer necessary with E10/E85. When marine engines, particularly two-strokes burned down a cylinder it was generally due to a lean condition just as it is today. Varnish and crud buildup occur regardless what fuel you use. Just adapt as times change and enjoy your boat.

Bye!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

jokaj

From what I've read it's the water on the bottom not gas.

Dingbat

But how do you know you removed the acid from the tank that forms in between water and gas layers? If you didn't it's still down there eating your tanks bottom.

Silvertip

Bye! ??? Are you upset about the discussion you started? Did it go the wrong way or something? I know there have been parts of the experiment that have been questioned, but I was under the impression that it was creative criticism. I really do think it's a cool idea to use your example and to a multi location test. What's a cooler use of the forum then that.

Anyway just saying "Bye!" struck me as out there so I hope everything is cool.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nope I'm still here. Just said my piece and no injury was inflicted. Besides, my skin is way too thick to suffer traumatic emotional damage as the result of some folks taking issue with what I present. This is a forum so disagreement is bound to occur. Shucks, I've been wrong before (once I think). :) I presented my experience with E10/E85 and tried to back it up with an example (however unscientific it was). On this particular topic however, people complain about falling victim to ethanol but the only proof they have is what someone else told them "may" have caused the problem. They read one negative article or an article that merely tries to point out a "potential issues" and they then tend to believe that word is gospel. At some point the plug needs to be pulled on any topic as the longer it goes the more sidetracked it becomes and the original intent gets lost entirely. People form an opinion about things and there simply is no point in expending more energy on the topic regardless which side of the issue you view it from.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whether or not ethanol damages engines is one issue (and one that I am not too concerned with, as here in corn country I have access to non-ethanol fuel). The other (and IMHO) bigger issue is the damage that ethanol is doing to fish and wildlife.

As an example, Minnesota has lost much of its historic duck production due to agricultural practices (draining wetlands and farming fencerow to fencerow). These ag practices have also severely limited pheasant production in both Minnesota and Iowa. This is why so many hunters in Minnesota and Iowa travel to the Dakotas - there is still enough habitat there to support huge bird populations, as well as the whole ecosystem food web complex that depends on that habitat.

However, the Dakotas are rapidly losing that habitat. Why? The high price of corn has become too hard for farmers to resist, and they are taking significant acreage out of CRP (Conservation Reserve Program) as well as breaking new highly-erodible ground for tillage (this same practice is part of what led to the Dust Bowl in the '30s). The end result is not only reduced fish & wildlife habitat, but also severely fragmented habitat that does little to support the remaining fish and wildlife. It turns the whole ecosystem upside down.

I won't even get into the problems associated with converting other tillable acreages to corn, thus reducing production of soybeans, wheat, oats and alfalfa and their ensuing skyrocketing prices, along with higher prices for beef because associated feed prices have gone up tremendously...

Yes, folks like to talk about how ethanol will reduce our dependency on foreign oil. I am all for reducing our oil dependency. However, if all of the tillable acreage in the U.S. was put into corn production for ethanol, it would only take care of maybe 10% of our foreign oil dependency (I think it was actually less than that, but I can't remember the exact figures now, maybe someone can post them if they have a peer-reviewed reference).

So, yeah, engine damage is small potatoes compared to the real damage ethanol is doing. Funny that the EPA is considering going to 15% ethanol when it will only increase the damage to fish and wildlife - what's up with that?