Prop line cutter now thrust rings?

BradleyPLKD

Cadet
Due to stupidity on my part, my props ended up being frozen on my 290 Dp-A duoprop and I had to cut them off. In the process I had to cut into the original front and rear line cutters. When I went to the volvo penta store to order the replacement parts, it shows that the line cutters have been replaced by "thrust rings." So it looks like they don't make that part anymore and are just selling spacers?

If so it looks like I install the parts in this order from front to back: This is for gas 5.7L with B4 props

forward thrust ring/front prop/tab washer/threaded prop nut/rear thrust ring/rear prop/pressure washer(stainless ring)/plastic washer/prop cone/cone screw

Can you guys just confirm this is all correct?

Oh yeah, and lots of prop grease throughout...:)

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Prop line cutter now thrust rings?

It's been a while since I replaced mine, but I do remember having the same questions as you. As I recall, just replace the line cutters with the thrust rings and you're back in business. It was my first outdrive repair ever and it was pretty simple.

By the way... I had the same problem... "frozen props". I cut off my rear prop with a grinder and of course that prop was trash at that point. About that time I talked to a friend who called me STUPID! So I waited on him to help me with the front prop. We took 2 acetylene torches and heated the front prop hub enough to soften the rubber bushing insert. The front prop pulled off like it was sliding across jello. Just FYI... :facepalm:

BradleyPLKD

Cadet

rfdfirecaptain...same thing happened to me...first repair man said to cut it off...then once I started to do that a second recommended the torch. Though on these boards, it sounds like the torch is just for stainless props, not aluminum? And it fries your shaft seals. Anyway, doesn't matter now...it's done and I've learned my lesson...haha

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have stainless props now, but at the time my props were aluminum. I had the fore prop hub repaired and I purchased a replacement for the aft prop. I did replace the shaft seals, but for an additional $40 and the trouble I had already gone through to expose the seals… it seemed like logical thing to do.

Before you have to learn another “lesson” be sure to post your problems/ideas on here. Hands down Don S. is the Volvo guru. With his help (along with a few others) and my limited DIY skills, I have saved a lot of money on boat repairs.