Oil Pan replacement

HawaiianHooker

Seaman Apprentice
I have a replacement pan, thinking about using a good under coating on it to hopefully reduce corrosion again..

Thoughts?

Also want to add a small bilge pump as far back as possible??

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Oil Pan replacement

I would definitely suggest spraying the engine with a good quality corrosion inhibitor. I don't remember the brand I used, but it works good. It dries as an amber coating that is not sticky. I will see if I can find the brand and let you know.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If I remember correctly, this is the product I used and liked well. It is CRC corrosion spray:

4091.jpg

ziggy

Admiral

i had to R&R my pan a couple years ago. best i remember, i cleaned up all the rust i could off the new (used) pan. shiny clean as best i could. then i used rustoleum rusty metal primer on it, followed by 2 coats of rustoleum black paint... so far so good. couple or 3 years out. my boat use is in fresh water.
as for the bilge pump. any bilge pump is better than no bilge pump.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a replacement pan, thinking about using a good under coating on it to hopefully reduce corrosion again..

Thoughts?

Also want to add a small bilge pump as far back as possible??

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... I'm with Ziggy,... a couple coats of Rustoleum industrial enamel...

After that, spray things down with Fluid Film once a year...

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

old hot rod engine builder told me to use undercoating - haven't touched it yet and it's still in good shape after 3-4 years. note that I've had a good bit of brackish in the past couple of years and it's made a difference in corrosion in the engine compartment a lot. but the pan still looks goo note that if you spill gas on undercoating... it dissolves a little. but the rubber also arguably cuts down on the noise a little bit...