water leak 15hp

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have a 15 hp Johnson 1983 long shaft that was in need of a new water pump. I change the pump and noticed that the water pickup tubes rubber gromet was big on the upper end. The water tube is 3/8 inch and the mouth of the gromet is at least 1/2 inch and doesn'r narrow down untill it get into the water pump. to make a long story short, it leaks water out of the shift rod gap in the leg and the upper vent in the lower leg. I have a very weak stream at the tell tale. Is it normal for the pickup tube grommet to be this bell shaped? Is this were the water is leaking? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.......Robert

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Rick.

Captain
Re: water leak 15hp

Are you testing it with muffs or in a barrel? I have had similar results testing with muffs but improved in a barrel. Best of luck. Rick.

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help fellas. BK was right. after preforming all the tests in the video and tring muffs and barrel. I have determined it is a 3$ water tube grommet. The day after Christmas will get one, install and report back. Thanks again.....Robert

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, this is a follow up and end to this thread. The motor pumps water like a young race horse now. what I did; 10 bought a new water tube gromet 2) cleaned and sealed all joints, this included removing the **** rod grommet and resealing it. Thanks for all the support and help with this problem, it was very much appreciated......Robert