nut on the flywheel

ifitwasus

Cadet
1970 85 horse evinrude. The nut on top of the flywheel keeps coming loose. Any suggestions onkeeping it tight?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: nut on the flywheel

NO lock washer !! Torque it down to 100-105 Ft Lbs.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC recommends replacing it every time it is removed. Usually it can be re-used a few times with no problem. If it keeps coming loose, as yours is-I'd replace it with a new one and torque it to the spec boobie has indicated. If the crank taper and flywheel mating surfaces are dirty, you may have to go through a cleaning procedure, called "lapping the flywheel."

ifitwasus

Cadet

What its the best way to hold the flywheel still to tighten it?

TrickyRicky

Seaman Apprentice

On my engine I use a Flywheel Holder for an auto engine by Snap on. Also I use blue locktite on threads. It will come off without heating.

boobie what problem would a lock washer incur to it? I might learn something.. I have used them a couple of times with no problems but it has been on smaller engines. I'm still learning all this and love the different answers and problems that might be avoided..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Think about this. How many lock washers do you see in the assembly of an outboard motor ???

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Think about this. How many lock washers do you see in the assembly of an outboard motor ???

I've seen quite a few....:D
But I'd agree 100% that I've NEVER seen one used on a flywheel nut. I don't know why either, but there must be a reason. ;)

nwcove

Admiral

im glad there are no lock washers!! bad enough to reassemble one and have four or five extra bolts, extra prop, etc, laying on the bench!!....a hand full of orphaned lock washers would make me question my work!!! :p

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

if every thing else fails then drill & tap between nut & sharft & fit a 5mm hex grub screw then its on for good

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I've seen quite a few....:D
But I'd agree 100% that I've NEVER seen one used on a flywheel nut. I don't know why either, but there must be a reason. ;)

Rethinking this....
I quite cavalierly thought of lock washers on carb float bowls...and some other places....but I do a lot of tinkering with small air-cooled engines and I may be blurring recollections.
I am now thinking of one specific O/B...and all repairs that I have done to it....and cannot think of a lock washer anywhere. :redface:

So is there a reason that they don't need lock washers? :confused:

nwcove

Admiral

Rethinking this....
I quite cavalierly thought of lock washers on carb float bowls...and some other places....but I do a lot of tinkering with small air-cooled engines and I may be blurring recollections.
I am now thinking of one specific O/B...and all repairs that I have done to it....and cannot think of a lock washer anywhere. :redface:

So is there a reason that they don't need lock washers? :confused:

proper torque on all the fasteners does the job.

im definetly going to have to take a pic of the top of the flywheel of my 59 model O?B. it has a lock washer under the flywheel nut and the oem replacement part for this washer is a lock washer. plus have them on the choke wire connection and the brackets that hold the choke plunger onto the bottom of the carb plus the start mounts.. lol

matt167

Captain

Lots of things were done different back then. They used to put cars together with carriage bolts, and close was good enough in many cases.

Lock washers shouldn't be used in an application where accurate torque is required.. Modern times, you'll almost never see it.. Lock washers are used when things are just snugged tight and do not require accurate torque. This would be the " close is good enough " case from the past

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Lots of things were done different back then. They used to put cars together with carriage bolts, and close was good enough in many cases.

Lock washers shouldn't be used in an application where accurate torque is required.. Modern times, you'll almost never see it.. Lock washers are used when things are just snugged tight and do not require accurate torque. This would be the " close is good enough " case from the past

and

proper torque on all the fasteners does the job.

Yup. Makes sense, TY.

..and every time I see the title of this thread i can't help thinking "man...and they tell you in the Operators' Manual to keep your fingers away from the flywheel..." :eek: