5.7GL PEFS Distributor

KurtS

Cadet
Hi,
I have lost spark on my 5.7GL PEFS. After I tried a new new rotor and coil (which didn't help), I noticed the coil was warm. I took the cap off and noticed a burnt electrical smell in my distributor. I took out the module and didn't see anything unusual like burnt marks. It seems I have a Prestolite BID distributor, and the module is now obsolete. Anyone know of an aftermarket module or do I need to replace with a complete distributor? Any help would be appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7GL PEFS Distributor

You might be able to find one, but for the prices I see, it's not worth it. You still have just the mechanical advance, the coil cap and rotor are also in question. I would just be looking at upgrading to the Delco EST distributor. You can get the whole distributor kit with coil cheaper that what the parts would be for the Prestolite. Volvo also moved away from the BID system to the Delco.

I do have one question, do you have a 5.0 or a 5.7? There was not 5.7GL, there was a 5.0GL or a 5.7GS, but not a 5.7GL.

Example. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/delco-voyager-marine-electronic-distributor-p-119.html

KurtS

Cadet

I had a 5.7 vortec short block built by a local engine builder and swapped over everything from my 5.0GL. I put on new rotor, plugs, wires and coil. There is no spark at all on any cylinders. How is timing advance handled on the the Delco system and is it adjustable? Also, I see MSD offers marine distributors, any idea how the quality compares?

Don S

Advance is done electronically in the module of the distributor. Advance is not adjustable.

KurtS

Cadet

My engine builder used a marine kit when he built it. I would think the advance curve in the delco would be fine. What do you think? Maybe not a perfect match for my engine, but good enough. I would probably never know if the timing curve could be better with the engine I have.

Don S

Of course it's OK, That is the ignition system GM designed for it's engines, and Volvo also uses the Delco on it's carbed engines.
The other thing that makes the EST distributor a better choice than many of the other aftermarket distributors, it ease of finding trouble shooting and repair information if needed.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=271407

Mercruiser even uses the EST in it's 3.0L engines.