1975 70hp tilt unit

I have what I believe to be a Tilt only unit, not a Tilt/Trim unit.

Will this function to trim the motor while driving across the lake, or only to tilt once stopped? The electric tilt works fine but I have not had the boat on the lake. (Not sure if I will, I only bought it for the motor, and to sell the trailer/junk the boat)

Also, what newer trim/tilt units can I swap onto this motor?

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1975 70hp tilt unit

post a pic of the tilt unit. that should give us an idea of what it is.
I didnt, or am unaware if only a tilt without trim was ever made.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Tilt only was built in the late 60's and early 70's. Could not tilt it out when under full power.

One other thing.
Eventually I would like to swap to a newer tilt/trim unit. The CMC type tilt units are nice and all but not an option for me. This engine is being setup to function as a tiller engine, and the CMC tilt/trim will set the engine back too far.

dodgeboy1979

Seaman Apprentice

i have this same setup on my 70hp and would also like to know if there is another option for tilt trim.

i have this same setup on my 70hp and would also like to know if there is another option for tilt trim.

It looks like you could change both cylinders out for the tilt/trim setup and lines, but still use the pump that is already there. Wouldn't really be worth the effort unless you had a motor of that era fall into your lap for a dirt cheap price.

I'm just going to use as it all next year, and then swap out the entire unit from a newer motor at the end of the season. PLUS if you swap to a newer system, the pumps are more available, and MUCH cheaper.