One thing after another...

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: One thing after another...

I'm uploading a video to youtube because its easier to see that way. it will be in the same location as the spark check.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I just went back and reread the post so correct me if I am wrong:
1) Engine did run fine but got hot(impeller cup failure)
2) After impeller replacement engine would not run under 1200 rpm or it would die
3) After checking on found 1 bank that was running
4) Now everything has went to crap
Am I correct? If so look very close at the wiring harness to see if charge coil/stator wires may have melted together and you may have to find a flywheel. Also are you check spark with sparkplugs in or out?

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mostly correct... The engine would rev up but it was barely putting. With it full throttle the boat would go about 10 mph and run about 3k rpms. Changed the impeller and then it started and ran for about 15 seconds and died. disconnected kill switches and it ran maybe 20 seconds until I reconnected kill switches with the key off and it stopped (like it should) and hasn't run since. The stator, both power packs, all six coils, and all six plug wires have been replaced. The timer base still measures good on the meter. It gets spark now but it won't run. I think I may have reattached the sensor magnet in the wrong position. But now, as of about 10 minutes ago, the sensor magnet is in pieces. Horrible screwdriver and hammer incident... not pretty. The outer ring is still intact but the magnetic ring inside it is cracked to pieces. Most of it was like that at first but when I took the ring off, it all crumbled out. The wiring all looked pretty decent to me except I need to put new male ends on the kill switch wires. I have been doing all the tests with the kill switches disconnected, and jumping the solenoid. Oh and the plugs out.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I will look in shed to see if I got one for ya...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Guess what I got!!!!!
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
tt
t
t
t

t
tt
t
t
t
t
It had a magnet reattached but eery thing else is good.. Pm me if needed...

Attachments

• parts 007.jpg
    parts 007.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Looks like the mag position was what you thought, looking from the bottom. Your's coulda been out by a little causing the timing to be off, Faztbullet has one, that's luck for ya!

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

KB, congratulations on not giving up the fight. What you lack in knowledge, you appear to make up in obstinacy. If you ever get this thing running well, I hope to hear about it.:D

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah its been quite the long haul thus far, but fortunately, I've learned a lot and continue to learn something new every day. (usually it's the resultsof my own screwups that create such great oppurtunities for learning);)

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After two weeks of being out of town I finally found some time to play with the boat. heres the scoop...

I put the new flywheel on and sprayed 3 shots of premix (from a spray bottle i had laying around) into the cylinders. It started for about a full second and blew a huge cloud of smoke, I suppose thats when the gas burnt off. Its pretty cold outside so I've been doing this in little bits of time. I will post updates as they come but so far, this thing blowing smoke has a big smile on my face.

The Score so far:

JOHNSON-a million ME-1

bktheking

Vice Admiral

After two weeks of being out of town I finally found some time to play with the boat. heres the scoop...

I put the new flywheel on and sprayed 3 shots of premix (from a spray bottle i had laying around) into the cylinders. It started for about a full second and blew a huge cloud of smoke, I suppose thats when the gas burnt off. Its pretty cold outside so I've been doing this in little bits of time. I will post updates as they come but so far, this thing blowing smoke has a big smile on my face.

The Score so far:

JOHNSON-a million ME-1

Aw come on , this is the thread of the year, fire that ***** up :D And take video, I wanna hear it run!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I think coolguy147 has the lead in the longest thread, about his old 10hp. Started December 11th, 2008 and 373 posts.:D:D:D

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I think coolguy147 has the lead in the longest thread, about his old 10hp. Started December 11th, 2008 and 373 posts.:D:D:D

I wan't thinking longest thread, I was thinking best thread. I actually spoke to this gent on the phone 2 weeks ago going over everything thus far, it has been a literal "nightmare" for him, hope he's still married! Once it's running we should have a vote!

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can get it running for about two seconds by spraying gas into the carbs but it wont stay running. I've gone through this cycle about 6 or 7 times now. Maybe now its becoming a carb issue in conjunction with the spark. The carbs have set without running for about 5 months now. (maybe they are gummed up?) It has spark now, but it wont stay running long enough to sustain itself. I will probably try it a few more times before i take the carbs off to clean them up. I don't have rebuild kits on hand so i'll probably just clean them up and put them back on... Unless of course y'all have some other ideas/suggestions

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Eeek, 5 month old fuel too. Got an external 6 gal tank? Put in fresh mix and try it.

Pumpin the bulb and all that fun stuff?

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah I primed it and all that. The gas that came out of the carbs looked pretty dark but I dont have an extra tank so is there anything I could do to substitute?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

yeah I primed it and all that. The gas that came out of the carbs looked pretty dark but I dont have an extra tank so is there anything I could do to substitute?

It should still fire up, might be cold blooded. Get an external tank and try some new gas, no neighbours with a boat?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I have to do this, push the primer on the key if it starts to die, mine won't run until I prime it a few times.

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

None small enough to have a portable tank. I will try to rig something up in the morning, but for tonight, I'm gonna clean the carbs up and put them back on in the morning.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

oh, yea. I've found a few of those night mares through my times. I wish all the best of luck.:cool: