Tecumseh identification

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Seems what I thought was a Clinton turns out to be a Tecumseh (stamped on the flywheel). Looking for the year and horsepower. It's a single cylinder air cooled and obviously pretty old. There's a tag on the cylinder head with the numbers 635-01 and another number below it - 3920076. The carburetor is mounted on the side of the engine (how odd is that) and it has a water intake behind the prop. Also does anyone know what name it was marketed under? I looked at all the Tecumseh sites with the various brands and can't find anything.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tecumseh identification

Looks like a '63 6hp Golden Arrow, Eska model 1130, based on the block number and the Brix site.

M

mrcrabs

gee I never looked there...duh, the Golden jet 600 uses the 635-01 too according to brix, I have seen those side carbed Tecumsehs on odd ball oldies but I didn't remember seeing a Eska with one, chances are I have picture of one the others someplace.
I wonder what the dif was between the golden jet and golden arrow 6hp? it could still be a odd ball according to the old Tecumseh bulletin I was looking at...lets see it

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

I did find it listed on an outboard site and apparently it is a golden arrow (or jet). Is it possible that the golden jet is one of those with the jet lower unit instead of the prop? I cleaned the tank and have her up and running except I have to use the choke more than the throttle. I'll have to give the carb a going over. She does run and nicely.

M

mrcrabs

No the golden jet had no jet or pump drive...its a tank/cowling design thing...I'm sure, send me PM and I will mail you this list of outboard builders that used tecumseh...or maybe I can post here, I think its only one sheet ...let me see----------------->nope its a Triton Arrow PDF with a Tecumseh service bulletin w/ a list of manufactures

cal-jet and Schnache are the only jet drives I know of that used tecumseh...not saying other did'nt

M

mrcrabs

Ok so I find the Golden jet and the Golden arrow were just simply different branded Eskas, mostlikley minor color difs or cowling to give each distributer his on look for the same thing,

from marineengines.com forum
"Tecumseh never produced an outboard, but they did build all the powerhead portions for the Eska company between 1961 and 1987.

Eska built outboards and marketed them under the following brand names (which had Eska model numbers):

Aquabug
Barracuda
Blue Jet
Coast to Coast
Colt
Explorer
Federals
Fury
Golden Arrow
Golden Jet
Hanimex
Hiawatha
Pathfinder
Sea Hawk
Seabreeze
Seaco
Seacruiser
Sears (Canada)
Skipper
Sportfisher
Superbug
Voyager and,
Wiljo

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

mrcrabs: That's my baby; only in white. Thanks for all the effort! As for the jet motors; I've seen a few on ebay over the years and they're mostly attached to air cooled / small horsepower engines. Just food for thought (though I try not to think too much).