4 hp Johnson Restoration Project

Goaliebart

Recruit
I recently bought a 1970 4 hp Johnson Sea Horse, Model #4W70E, for 20 bucks, and it runs like a champ! I have no mechanical issues other than possibly adjusting the carb. I also noticed that the lift release out back is made of a loop of wire? Is this a fix or original? I am restoring it to origin which will require paint and decals. I have read in this forum, that the cowl and prop can be color matched with any Gloss White spray paint...Has anyone done this or found the correct color match? The lower unit is a greenish-blue color. Is the proper color Johnson #6901 Green Laquer? or has anyone found a suitable color match? As to the decal set, I have found it readily available thru shopatron.com, OMC, and several other sources, for $28 shipped. The part # listed is 0384353, however, no photos of the decals are shown...has anyone bought this decal set? Was it correct/complete? The plugs are Champion J6J's....are they hotter than the rec'd J4J? Any reccommendations re: plugs? I see that the fuel ratio is 50:1, with a few folks suggesting 40:1 to give the internals a little extra lube. Your thoughts on a richer mix? I use this engine on the weekends at my cottage on Lake Erie, on a 14' Sears aluminum boat, and have found its performance to be amazing. Great forum as well. Thanks for your input, and have a safe boating summer!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4 hp Johnson Restoration Project

50:1 is correct mixture, 40:1 is just going to make more smoke, and pollution.

krogie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4 hp Johnson Restoration Project

on these older motors i like to use some of the new synthetic blends at a 50:1 ratio. less smoke and less fouling. as for what plug to use i would not try a hotter plug, just stay with the specs on this one do to the age of the motor