Winterizing v6 3.8 OMC Manifolds

doral1985

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Living in Canada I normally use antifreeze in engine block and detach the cooling hoses to the manifolds and just drain them, are the manifolds better left drained and dry or should they have antifreeze in them to curb the rust?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Winterizing v6 3.8 OMC Manifolds

if you want to rinse propylene glycol through to mix with any water that may pool that's fine, but best to leave the drain cocks open

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you open the drains and very little water runs out of them, remove them completly and run a wire up them.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Living in Canada I normally use antifreeze in engine block and detach the cooling hoses to the manifolds and just drain them, are the manifolds better left drained and dry or should they have antifreeze in them to curb the rust?

It they're the "Batwing" type manifolds, I suggest you think about replacing them soon (unless they're brand new)

It's only a matter of time before they destroy your engine.

Regards,

Rick

doral1985

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the manifolds drained a good stream of water out, replacement prob down the road, but acquiring replacements for the 3.8 are all most impossible to find, not sure if there is a aftermarket replacement that will work, if anyone has done it I would appreciate hearing from them.
tks for info guys

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

no batwings on the 3.8's. although the 4.3 batwing units might work as a replacement. OSCO makes replacement center riser manifolds for the 3.8 and they're the only aftermarket manifolds that will clear the selectrim engine mounts. Some places (like marinemanifold.com) sell the OSCO center riser conversion as a kit.