A little confused... How is this motor and outdrive setup

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cheers!

i am a little confused. i found a 1997 21 foot chris craft bowrider, its a beautifull boat and i found it for a great price, my question is when i looked at the outdrive it is a volvo cobra SX and the motor is a 5.7 volvo motor, but on the valve covers i see OMC stickers with serial numbers. I am assuming this motor/drive combo was sold under the same volvo but used OMC parts???

the owner said the motor was a new reman. Also from everything i hear im supposed to steer clear from OMC.

Is this a good motor / drive package..?

i can get some pictures if needed!

THanks!

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: A little confused... How is this motor and outdrive setup

Pics would help but I would guess you are fine, it sounds like my old drive package, and most of not all of the Parts are still supported and available through Volvo. This was a few years after the transition from OMC to Volvo and I suspect that you have the old style SX drive.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ill get pics asapy, i did a little research, from what i read it seems OMC and Volvo teamed up to make the Cobra SX drive. im curious about the motor though, its supposed to be a volvo motor but there are OMC markings on it...?

TilliamWe

Banned

If it's a "5.7", it's neither an OMC nor a Volvo, cause it's a Chevrolet. It doesn't really matter what the valve covers say, OMC, Volvo, and Mercruiser (among others) all got/get their engines from GM. Of course there are a few OMC or Volvo specific parts, like exhaust manifolds, but don't sweat that right now.
It sounds like you might have gotten "lucky" and have an outdrive that is interchangeable with the Volvo Penta SX drive. Although, with SEI making a $350 conversion kit to an Alpha One Gen 2, an OMC Cobra isn't a death sentence, anymore.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Agreed. The 5.7 is a Chevy engine and it may have Merc, Volvo or OMC on the labels. Beneath the paint and stickers it is still GM.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

That was the end of the OMC-Volvo joint venture.
Basically it is a Volvo with a GM 350 engine.The most tried and true engine of all the boat builders.
If the boat checks out and is a good price i would buy it with no worries at all.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well thanks for all the replies fellas! Im going to check out the boat right now. ill shoot some pics with the camera phone and post em to see what every one thinks.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Good luck! Post some pics of the drive..;)

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are the pics as requested! Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
And excuse me if they are too big
GetAttachment-1aspx-1.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx-2.jpg

GetAttachment-3aspx-2.jpg
GetAttachment-2aspx.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Parts are no problem, Service is no problem, It's all Volvo (except the name). Below is your picture that shows a tag on it.
Get the numbers off that tag and post them over in the IO forum and I will see exactly what you have. If it was registered properly, I will be able to give you a lot more information.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GetAttachment-2aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment-2aspx.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0