Trouble starting my 1996 force 120

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When the problem first started i would have to turn the key 3 or 4 times before the starter would engage and start the motor. Each time i turned the key i could hear a clicking sound i assume to be the solenoid. I removed the starter had it checked cleaned and new brushes installed. With the starter installed and a new cranking battery i still have the same problem. Before i go any farther i want to get some opinions on what to do next. Im thinking it must be the solenoid.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Trouble starting my 1996 force 120

Before you spend any money on a solenoid, remove the battery cables where ever they make a connection and clean them thoroughly with a wire brush or something similar. Check the ground cable where it is bolted to the engine block. Also positive battery cable where it connects to the starter solenoid. It's not uncommon for the top exposed part of the cable connection to look just fine, only to have the underside of the connection to have a layer of corrosion preventing the starter from working properly. The starter draws a significant amount of current. You need to have good clean cable connections (both positive and negative cables) for the cables to supply the required electrical current.

Jiggz

Captain

Follow PNW's lead and if the problem persists, jumper the solenoid (the two big bolts) with a screw driver or jumper wires and if the starter kicks in then most likely the solenoid needs replacement. However, on the bright side most problems like yours are typically due to bad or dirty connection related and seldom due to bad solenoid.

foodfisher

Captain

Connections! disassemble, clean and reconnect. Looking good and being tight isn't enough.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Test light across the solenoid lugs as you turn the key.
A clicking solenoid means it getting juice.
Weather or not it's getting through the solenoid is the test lights job?

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the help. Cleaned all connections and solved my problem.