anyone use an edger to sand deck?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: anyone use an edger to sand deck?

Edger????? Not sure what you're referring to. For a flat Smooth surface, I'd recommend a Belt Sander with 24 grit belts.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I know what a sanding edger is and you are going to need to be darn good with it for quality results.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I need to sand down 2 coats od gelcoat and repaint with awlgrip

Why do you want to sand down 2 coats of gel ?

Prep it .. prime it.. re-prep then spray/roll it.

YD.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I know what a sanding edger is and you are going to need to be darn good with it for quality results.

Yeah, 1 of these:
41MvJ-EHBmL.jpg

Anywhere on a boat? Yikes. Those things are a modern equivalent to a medieval torture device. It would go thru fiberglass & gel like crazy, and wow would it throw out some glass dust. Not even on a HUGE flat fiberglass deck.....

Yikes. But like YD asked: why sand thru 2 layers of gel?

Yeah, 1 of these:
41MvJ-EHBmL.jpg

Anywhere on a boat? Yikes. Those things are a modern equivalent to a medieval torture device. It would go thru fiberglass & gel like crazy, and wow would it throw out some glass dust. Not even on a HUGE flat fiberglass deck.....

Yikes. But like YD asked: why sand thru 2 layers of gel?

its shinny...its way over powered...i want one....whats does it do

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

its shinny...its way over powered...i want one....whats does it do

If you're not careful it can fly out of control and break your nose. So in your case Glenn, it's medicinal and beats two rods up your nose. :rolleyes:

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have 2 coats of gelcoat on my deck. im pretty sure they both have wax in it. the top layer has non skid griptex in it. im planning on repainting with awlgrip(i just like the look better, less maintenance). i also want to smooth out the deck more. some spots need a lil more evening out. just trying to get the best tools to do this. when u say prep it YD? i would need to get the wax off with prepsol, sand it smooth, maybe prepsol it again and then some acetone and prime and paint. is this what u meant? im gonna have to do alot of sanding to get the nonskid nice and smooth and then im not sure how the primer will stick, is there going to be problems with the wax?

if the first layer had wax in it and wasnt treated then the second layer would not have stuck to it. if you want to take off the gel coat a 4-1/2 grinder with 3m scotchbrite hook and loop pads will remove quickly and evenly but its going to be real dusty even with fans blowing the dust away.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i sanded between coats with an orbital sander. how much extra sanding will it be this time to get through the top layer with non skid in it?

emoney

Commander

The heavier the grit, the quicker the sanding. Just make sure you're only going down as far as you hope. If I was taking non-skid off with a random orbital, I'd probably use 80 grit for the top layer. To each his own, however.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think im going t borrow or buy a belt sander