Mercruiser 470. is it worth re-building?

flip050-883

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 198* Mercruiser 470 3.7L in a 1981 Silverline ski boat.
I bought the boat a little while ago as a non-running boat.Picked up the boat, and trailer for $400. I am now the 3rd owner of it, and the previous owner stated he had it out on the lake last year and it was running great. He said the battery was dead, so I pulled one from another boat I have and tried turning it over.The starter would turn a quarter turn to a halt. Almost like the starter is tired/weak. I got the starter off the motor, took the starter apart and a bunch of junk fell out of it. Put it back together, and got the same result. I was anxious to start working on the motor so I did a compression test. "Yes even with the crappy starter" the 1st cylinder closest to the bow of the boat read 60, the next one over was dead, the next one over read 60, and the last one read 90. When the motor was turning it would come to a halt at the top stroke of the cylinder. I know this isn't an accurate reading because of the weak starter, but I did it anyway. While doing the compression test, I then realized the heat exchanger was unhooked? I read that they get clogged and overheat the motor. But it looks like this guy did a straight shot around the heat exchanger. Checked for spark, and it's got a nice fat blue spark. Do you think this motor is worth rebuilding? And did I overpay for the boat? :confused: I was thinking I could rebuild it myself. I work on dirtbikes and stuff, so I'm familiar with motors and stuff.

Any advice would be extremely helpful!:D

Thanks,
-Daniel

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 470. is it worth re-building?

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

If you were to part out the boat, If the drive is "ok" you might get $500-700 for it. Part out all the rest piece by piece, and you might get another $400 or so.

My suggestion would be to part it out, take the money you get, and add what it would cost to get that 470 running correctly and find a boat that doesn't have 470, 3.7L or OMC anywhere in the description!

If you part it out now, and do nothing, you'll make "money" Because the drive, gimbal and trailer is worth more than you have in it! Oh, and the block has scrap value. Aluminum is close to $1/lb. But it might be worth more to someone who wants to rebuild one.

Just saying!

ymmv.

Rick

flip050-883

Recruit

Oh! I forgot to mention the outdrive was rebuilt last summer. I have the receipts and all. It would cost me about $800 to completely rebuild the motor. New pistons,main bearings,gaskets, new camshaft, everything. I like a good challenge here and there.Plus i'd be learning something new! Maybe it could be my little winter project!

Thanks guys!
-Dan

Bondo

Staff member

Oh! I forgot to mention the outdrive was rebuilt last summer. I have the receipts and all. It would cost me about $800 to completely rebuild the motor. New pistons,main bearings,gaskets, new camshaft, everything. I like a good challenge here and there.Plus i'd be learning something new! Maybe it could be my little winter project!

Thanks guys!
-Dan

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Scrap the 470, 'n figure out how to drop in a 4.3l motor,....

That's a project that'll give ya a decent driveline, 'n some value to the boat...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You aren't likely to drop in a 4.3 for $800 and know that it will work. Unless you find the whole setup for cheap. Then you have to wonder what it's going to need.

Bondo

Staff member

You aren't likely to drop in a 4.3 for $800 and know that it will work. Unless you find the whole setup for cheap. Then you have to wonder what it's going to need.

Ayuh,.... But it's Rotten boat season,.... craigslist is startin' to load up....

The draw-back of livin' in Freshwater, vs; Saltwater is,... the Wood Rots,..... insteada the iron...