Broken Skeg - Alpha 1

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an Alpha drive & the skeg is broken. There's probably 25% of it left and is has a crack in what is left. How can they be repaired or replaced? Am I looking at a big, expensive repair or will I luck out with an easy fix?

I bought a plastic skeg that comes with a big tube of glue, but I'm affraid that it will stress the remaining cracked skeg and just break it off.

Will I notice a dramatic change in performance by having a new, complete skeg?

Thanks for the ideas.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Broken Skeg - Alpha 1

Remove the leg and have it repaired by a weld shop. Before you do try to get the original dimensions of the skeg for fabrication. You can also do a search on this forum for what others have done in the past and use that information to aid in repair. Good luck

cbavier

Lieutenant

The skeg serves two basic purposes. One and the most important is to protect the prop from damage such as striking objects or running into sand or the bottom of a lake. The second is it acts like a rudder and helps in steering. The skeg can be repaired by a knowledgeable and skilled welder. It must be removed from the lower unit and disassembled however because of the heat in the welding process. It's not an awfully expensive repair. You can buy bolt on skegs as well as the glue on as you stated you have in your possession now. That is a whole lot cheaper way to repair the skeg but probably at best a temporary repair, especially since you say you only have about 25% left. You ask if it will make a drastic difference in performance. IMO no! But it will sure make your prop last a lot longer.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Just about any prop repair shop can repair a skeg...at least here in Northern Ohio.

Bondo

Staff member

Just about any prop repair shop can repair a skeg...at least here in Northern Ohio.
Before you do try to get the original dimensions of the skeg for fabrication.

Ayuh,... And around here, They already know how big it's supposed to be...

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replys. So, essentially I'd have to drop the drive and take the lower in for repairs? If that's the case, I think I might use the plastice glue on one until I'm ready to do the impeller. What would this cost in your areas?

cbavier

Lieutenant

About $250 thru my local Marina where they maintain my boat. They did all the work for me on mine. The skeg must be reduced to just a shell.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Sante Marine Propeller;

For what it's worth...here in Cleveland...see below

Attachments

• Skeg repair.jpg
    Skeg repair.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 5

TilliamWe

Banned

...The skeg can be repaired by a knowledgeable and skilled welder. It must be removed from the lower unit and disassembled however because of the heat in the welding process...

First statement is absolutely true.

Second statement is not accurate. Skegs can be rewelded without disassembling the lower unit. It's done safely and successfully every day.

Those prices quoted seem about right for the north. There is a shop in Titusville, FL that my dad goes to that does it for half that amount, though.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Second statement is not accurate. Skegs can be rewelded without disassembling the lower unit. It's done safely and successfully every day.

Those prices quoted seem about right for the north. There is a shop in Titusville, FL that my dad goes to that does it for half that amount, though.

What are you trying to say....:D

rijaskow

Recruit

I hit a rock and took about 2/3rds of mine off. I asked around and found a guy with a portable welder who came to my house to fix it. He fixed skegs before but it wasn't his main job. I just parked the boat outside and he came while I was at work. Since it was close to the gearbox he would weld a little bit and wait for it to cool before he'd weld a little more. While he was waiting he patched up my prop! He did a beautiful job and charged me $90. Turns out it's the same guy the city calls to fix light poles and signs when somebody runs into them.
I'd ask around for people who weld aluminum and make some calls. I don't think you necessarily need a specialty shop.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sounds pretty cool. Rijaskow, what state are you in?

cbavier

Lieutenant

Skegs can be rewelded without disassembling the lower unit. It's done safely and successfully every day.

TW that's true. I just didn't want a newbie trying to weld it himself or the local corner garage with no skeg repair experience.