2000 Johnson 115 Tilt/Trim Problem... will tilt down but not up?

sea-pro

Recruit
Hello,

I am to to this site but found a lot of very useful information. I have a problem with my ouboard that justed happened to me the last time I pulled my boat out of the water. After fishing all day with no problems, I load my boat on the trailer and raise the motor then set it down for trailering. After I set it down, I tried to raise it again and it will not even click. I am not getting any response from either the switch on the motor or the control unit. Checked all connection but they seem to be fine. Any help Please?

Thanks!!!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2000 Johnson 115 Tilt/Trim Problem... will tilt down but not up?

Could it be a blown fuse, either "in-line", or in the fuse box?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Give the tilt mtr a few raps with a small hammer once and see what happens. Will the mtr turn over when you hit the key ??

if its the fuse under the cowl the engine will not turn over. if it turns over remove the cowl and get someone to push the buttons you should hear a faint click from the tilt control box if you do then its time for a volt meter to test the motor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That PTT unit should have a two wire motor. The relay box adjusts the polarity of the power supplied to the motor to change the direction of it's rotation. So if the PTT motor runs in any direction, it will run in the opposite direction as well. Hence the trouble is likely in the relay function or the associated wiring.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

That PTT unit should have a two wire motor. The relay box adjusts the polarity of the power supplied to the motor to change the direction of it's rotation. So if the PTT motor runs in any direction, it will run in the opposite direction as well. Hence the trouble is likely in the relay function or the associated wiring.
Where is the relay function?????

RRitt

Captain

follow the trim motor wires back until they go into a little box. the two black cubes are the relays. if you swap them and the problem reverses direction then one of the relays is bad.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

follow the trim motor wires back until they go into a little box. the two black cubes are the relays. if you swap them and the problem reverses direction then one of the relays is bad.
Thanks for your reply , I switched them but same problem exists .Only goes to down position .

Please note I am not the one who started this post but have similar problem.

RRitt

Captain

Thanks for your reply , I switched them but same problem exists .Only goes to down position .

Please note I am not the one who started this post but have similar problem.

then it is probably a bad switch or electrical post. fuses and motors rarely break in only one direction.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Better check up limit safety switch, trace blue wires that go to front of motor . If you raise motor too high motor will hit a plunger switch and it may stick , you can lower motor but if the switch is stuck , up mode will not work .