Inflatable PFD

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking for an inflatable PFD, I boat alone from time to time on the Chesapeake. It gets a little rough sometimes in my 17ft. I want to wear a life jacket but don't like the bulkyness (spelling?) of a regular PFD while driving, sitting down, etc.

So after doing a quick search on cabelas it looks like there are quite a few to chose from. If they make it, I would like one that the "automatic" feature could be turned off. For instance if I had to jump in for any reason and didn't want to float and didn't want to take it off. Also, the more confortable and less restrictive it is the better, I'll be more likely to wear it. In other words, it would be nice if I didn't even know it was on.

Anybody use these? If so what brands/ models do you use/ like.

Thanks,
Austin

Re: Inflatable PFD

I use a manual inflateable pfd. There is a handle to pull if you want it to inflate. I doubt they would make an automatic one with an "off" switch! What if you forget it's off just when you need it :eek:

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

I want an on/off switch for the auto setting too but I don't know if any of them have it. The bulkiness (;)) can be bothersome. Good luck, I'll be watching this thread.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a manual inflateable pfd. There is a handle to pull if you want it to inflate. I doubt they would make an automatic one with an "off" switch! What if you forget it's off just when you need it :eek:
Sure, but what if you're knocked out when you need it? Or what if you took off the automatic because you didn't want it to inflate then needed it? Lots of what if's, but I'm sure someone makes one.

In thinking about it, when in a store I noticed that some had tags saying they weren't activated, so maybe that's the "off switch" that can be reused.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very informative, thanks for the link...

What I ment as far as an auto inflate switch is... They all seem to have a manual lever, and I wouldn't want to turn that off, I would just want to turn the "auto" fuction off if I needed to quick jump in for any reason. You could still use the lever if needed. But I suppose that it's really not necessary, nor is it a feature that seems to be available.

Thanks,
Austin

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I suggest the "off" switch can be replaced by removing the vest if you need to go in the water intentionally. The slight delay needed to take off the vest is worth the safety of the automatic feature the rest of the time.

sly_karma

Seaman

+1 for the Onyx vests. Fished most of the summer whislt wearing one, you forget it's on. I got the manual only version, less complexity.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Good for you, acarter- I never boat solo without wearing my vest, and Lin and I are quick to put them on if conditions are less than ideal. We like auto-inflatables, too. To the best of my knowledge, none have a 'selectable' feature. Lin and I use the West Marine Coastal models, which don't seem to be too bulky and go on sale a couple of times a season. I've also fitted ours with whistles and automatic strobe lights.

A little off topic, but an important fact to remember... LE does NOT consider an inflatable vest to be an approved PFD, unless it's being worn. If there are 4 people in the boat, and you have an inflatable vest plus 3 non-inflatable vests, you can be cited for an 'insufficient number of PFD's aboard, unless one of the passengers is wearing the inflatable at all times.

My .02

martin6651

Cadet

Why not get a hydro-stastic version that will only deploy when you got below a certain depth.

UncleWillie

Captain

Why not get a hydro-static version that will only deploy when you got below a certain depth.

He is looking for one that he can turn off the Auto-inflate feature on short notice so he can dive in for some reason. e.g. swimming.
All vests including the hydro-statics would auto-deploy in that scenario.

The hydro-static depth feature might be helpful if used in a kayak or a Fishing float tube were it would get soaked but not fully submerged except a type III or better PFD is required in any event.

If you think it through there is no good reason for a Quick disable feature.
The hydrostatic feature is intended to prevent accidental inflation were you get wet but are not actually in the water.
The auto inflate "Pill/Bobbin" in the PFDs are inside of plastic cap inside of the water proof jacket cover.
It is not easy to get the "Pill/Bobbin" wet!
You can hose down a person wearing one and they do not inflate. Jump IN the water and they blow right up.
I have had mine soaking/dripping wet from spray over the bow and it does not inflate.
You need to actually be in the water and the PFD submerged to get it to inflate. A Good Thing!

The auto-disable/ manual option takes a minute to install and could be useful if you wanted to go into the water to swim, inspect the hull or snorkel and wanted a PFD you could deploy if you became exhausted.

The hydrostatic feature requires the PFD to be submerged 4 inches to deploy. Not Much!
Interestingly enough, the inflate mechanisms in most vests are about 4 inches from the bottom of the right chamber.
I have not inspected a hydrostatic vest to see how they differ from a normal one.
But I suspect marketing has more to do with it than engineering!

Alumarine

Captain

Look for one with a "comfortable" collar. I find they make a difference.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I would consider a manual inflate jacket about the same as not wearing one at all... I'm actually surprised they are legal. Again, going back to the unconscious thing. If I'm tossed out of a boat, the odds are pretty good I've whacked my head on the way over the railing. A manual inflate life preserver at that point is just one more thing to take me to the bottom. (want more proof, see the recent viral boating video that has been posted on here half a dozen times. Those people weren't even tossed out, and they were in no shape to manually inflate a life jacket.)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Buy the auto/manual inflatable PFD, it's only one quick buckle to snap open to take it off. I can take mine off in about 10 seconds.

UncleWillie

Captain

Buy the auto/manual inflatable PFD, it's only one quick buckle to snap open to take it off. I can take mine off in about 10 seconds.

+1
More like 2 seconds to get it off.
It takes longer to put it on.
I never get my arms between the straps on the first try. :facepalm:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

UncleWillie;3967035I never get my arms between the straps on the first try. :facepalm:[/QUOTE said:
LOL- I thought I was the only 'spaz'!

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, next time I make it to Cabelas I'll try some on and probably just get whatever is the most confortable and has the auto-inflate.

Thanks,
Austin

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Well, next time I make it to Cabelas I'll try some on and probably just get whatever is the most confortable and has the auto-inflate.

Thanks,
Austin

The inflatables are so comfortable you'll forget you have it on, I've come into the house several times only to discover that I still had my inflatable on and to turn around to go put it back in the boat.