Trolling Battery

fishingmedic10

Recruit
Hey all, just a quick post regarding my trolling battery in my '10 Q7i....
I can get a few hours out of it before it's rendered useless, normally recharge @ 2A and it take approx 24-36 hrs to recharge. Any suggestions regarding on board chargers or recharging?
Thanks
Mike

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling Battery

I have one of the two bank - bass pro brand (made and labeled by ProMariner) 5/5 - since the cranking battery is always mostly full - all 10amps go to the charging of the trolling.

Wait until they go on sale (~20$ off) - the 4/4 would be just fine also since most of the time the full 8amps would go to the troller.

So far i have been happy with my setup.

fishingmedic10

Recruit

I have one of the two bank - bass pro brand (made and labeled by ProMariner) 5/5 - since the cranking battery is always mostly full - all 10amps go to the charging of the trolling.

Wait until they go on sale (~20$ off) - the 4/4 would be just fine also since most of the time the full 8amps would go to the troller.

So far i have been happy with my setup.

Thanks
Has anypone upgraded into 75lb 24 volt system? Just wondering if the Q7 is to big for the stock 55lb?

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would definitly think the Q7 would be to big for the 55lb - since my Q5 is stretching my 55lber pretty good IMO. I do most of my fishing in mostly calm spots on the lake and find i'm using 70-80% throttle on it way to much. This will drain a battery pretty fast! Which for me hasn't been to bad of a problem since with my daughter is often in the mix I am only fishing for shorter stints.

I think on a full on fishing trip with 8+hrs of fishing a day... i'd be charging at lunch just to make sure i have some left for the end of the day outing. Especially if there was a breeze. Don't see that happening much - otherwise i would install the dual charger diode thing-a-majig (use Alt to charge both batteries once crank is 'full')

will2kz

Seaman Apprentice

I would definitely step up to a two battery 24V system if you are a serious fisherman.
Here is my setup
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=564253
The 216 is a big boat and 80 ft lbs is plenty to push it around, even in the wind. Get the biggest, cheapest batteries you can. Go to Sams or Costco. I did all the research on AWG etc and for the money lead acid is still the way to go.
The wiring on my Tahoe was 8G which is not satisfactory for a 80ft lb Amp draw considering a 22ft run. It is underated when looking at the US Coast guard safety charts for wiring size. I went with new 6G wire, a 60 Amp breaker and ran it under my driver console to counter balance the water tank and inevitable passengers that all site on the port side of the boat. I actually rewired the stock wiring to my cranking motor to power my front fish detector which gets its sonar feed from the trolling motor. I think I included a pick of that.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks
Has anypone upgraded into 75lb 24 volt system? Just wondering if the Q7 is to big for the stock 55lb?

With 06 Q6 S/F...original motor was motorguide 55# 12v, IMO they go with the least just to get by and to be able to say that the boat comes with a troller. I guess it would be ok if u lived on a pond...LOL. With my size boat and being in the great lakes region where I experience 3 mph river current often, I def had to step up on the troller. I went for the gusto! MinnKota I-pilot, uni sonar, 80lb, 60" 24v. (Very, very awesome troller...if u have the bucks u will not b disappointed!) with Interstate group 31's and to charge, pro mariner 150. A very nice set up, can run all day with battery to spare. If I do run down bat's all the way, which takes a long time, they will charge in about 24 to 36 hrs tops. This motor has enuff power to handle the Q6 (which I believe now is the Q7's) on your average conditions with NO problem. I personally though would have liked to have gone with the 101lb, 36v only saying this for my water conditions (strong current) but...the good ol budget....this troller IS NOT CHEAP! But any 80# thrust motor with the 60" shaft will do just fine! Always good to hav nuff than NOT nuff :)

Last edited: