Stern ladder

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class
DSCF1303Boat ladder (640x480).jpg
One of the screws has pulled out of the fiberglass on one side of the ladder. I tried liquid nails to hold it back in place to no avail. Any suggestions on how I can reattach it to hold?

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Stern ladder

Hard to say without a picture of the actual conditions.

You can drill a nice clean slightly oversize hole... if it is 3/16 now go 5/16... put a piece of white oak 5/16 dowel rod with some two part epoxy and let it dry. Drill a new pilot hole and insert original screw. You can get white oak dowel rod and epoxy at any home center.

or you can get to the backside.... through bolt it with a stainless machine screw, fender washer, and an nylock nut. Home centers have this stuff as well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

JB marine weld epoxy and clean the old screw holes out first. Liquid nails will never work.

Your other alternative is to bolt the ladder through the hull with longer stainless steel bolts and seal the bolts up where they pass through with epoxy or 3m5200

You should also be asking "why" the screw won't bite. It should be a firm fit into the plywood core. You may have some of the dreaded transom rot starting there :eek:

bgc

Ensign

You should also be asking "why" the screw won't bite. It should be a firm fit into the plywood core. You may have some of the dreaded transom rot starting there :eek:

Now, Now, there is no need to spook Newowner2011 with such terms. Transom replacement can be a joyous and relaxing experience....sorry don't know where that came from.

With the way its mounted to the bottom of the platform you might need to use the JB weld. (Starcraft mounted this uniquely)
Look into the back of the boat on the port side of the engine and determine if you can see the mounting hardware. If so, reinforce it from the inside with white oak as mentioned by joewithboat or a flat,angle of stainless,aluminum to keep the new fasteners from pulling thru

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've tried to uplaod pic but keep getting error Upload of file failed

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've looked as far back as I can on the port side of engine and do not see any bolts or screws coming through where you indicated I might

bgc

Ensign

Frustrating aint it....
Post your photo in a "Photobucket" account first (its free and wont give ya a virus or junk email)
Select "Go Advanced" , click the attach photo icon, select "From URL", paste URL in box, uncheck "Remote", and voila!

bgc

Ensign

I've looked as far back as I can on the port side of engine and do not see any bolts or screws coming through where you indicated I might

So your model has the bolts coming straight up into the bottom of the platform, correct?

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I must be doing something wrong. It gives me message Invalid File

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are several ways to upload photos. I find it pretty easy to just start with the "insert image" icon( 3rd from right),... then "from computer" tab,... select files

Just noticed where you are... I lived in Portland for 7 years.

bgc

Ensign

Without seeing it but knowing this assembly...
Open the holes up and fill with an epoxy (JB Weld, 635...). After curing, predrill with appropriate sized bit for the screws you're going to use and reattach.
A SeaRay I did this to, I drilled a 3/4" hole into the platform, filled it, used masking tape to keep the epoxy from oozing out and it has held up well.

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I managed to insert image into my original post. Take a look and advise. Thanks

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm guessing those are just pointed sheetmetal/wood screws and not machine screws with nuts and washers on the back?

If they're the pointed wood screw you have a wooden backing block in there that is either rotted or the hole has stripped out... because of rot.

You can try what Bob said and inject/force some marine epoxy in there and let it setup, then drill a pilot hole for your screw and try to reinstall it.

When was the last time you checked your boat for the dreaded boat cancer?

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After seeing that picture, id say a trough bolt is the way to go if you can get to that area to add a backer of some sort and put a nut on it.