motor size

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
the largest hp outboard I've ever owned is a 90 .... until recently the last time I visited a boat dealership in search of a new boat was back in '04 .... consequently, if someone had of had a video camera earlier today when I got an up close look at a 250 hp E-TEC and 225 hp Yamaha, I have no doubt I would have looked like Gomer's come to the dealership .... those motors are huge ..:eek:.. the 250 E-TEC was mounted on one heck of a Ranger bass boat, that combo has to be a rocket sled on the water

Jim

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: motor size

you then need to stand next to a Seven Marine 557

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

you then need to stand next to a Seven Marine 557

its a good thing that Google knows everything because until our post I didn't know a motor like that even exist .... I knew I've been out of the loop but I didn't have a clue just how far out there ..:eek:.. the dry weight on those motors is over a thousand pounds, that's hard for this country boy to even visualize ..:facepalm:.. thanks for your post, I've learned something (which isn't all that rare :rolleyes:)

Jim

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I stood next to the prototype in 2010 before Rick and Eric unveiled it and stood there drooling.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That has a caddy V-8 right!! I can only imagine.

Yes the new motors are HUGE!

Scott Danforth

Staff member

That has a caddy V-8 right!! I can only imagine.

Yes the new motors are HUGE!

Its the GM LS-A which is in the Caddilac STS and new camaro. It is the LS-9's little brother (LS-9 is the other supercharged LS motor found in the Corvette). it is a variation of the LS-X engines, however marinized by GM. it is the same base LS-A motor that companies like Volvo-Penta, Pleasurecraft, and Illmore are using for I/O motors, however each company does their own tuning.

http://gmpowertrain.com/MarineEnginesControllers/ProductPortfolio.aspx