Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Outboard engines

I voted yes, But what do I know? I have no idea the R&D that goes into an outboard, and there are far less sold than automobiles, so they have to recupe the cost somewhere.

Still think they are overpriced...

Look at it like this. You can buy a $25K car, or a $25K outboard (without a boat)... go figure...

raptorbill

Seaman Apprentice

Great point!!! I was looking at the prices and said to myself, "These are overpriced!" I wanted to see what all the other people on iboats think.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You have a PM

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely not overpriced! Consider the special tooling needed for the castings alone, the special alloys used, and the fact that marine engines are almost always run at their maximum horsepower compared to automobiles that typically run at on fifth or less of their rated horsepower. The outboard MUST be specially designed and rugged. Well worth their price.

Remember: The manufacturer is trying to maximise profit with both high demand and high profit margin. If no one felt that outboard engines were worth the price, demand would be reduced and price would drop. The old law of supply and demand.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Absolutely not overpriced! Consider the special tooling needed for the castings alone, the special alloys used, and the fact that marine engines are almost always run at their maximum horsepower compared to automobiles that typically run at on fifth or less of their rated horsepower. The outboard MUST be specially designed and rugged. Well worth their price.

Remember: The manufacturer is trying to maximise profit with both high demand and high profit margin. If no one felt that outboard engines were worth the price, demand would be reduced and price would drop. The old law of supply and demand.

I did mention the R&D costs, etc. However, just what profit margin is the manufacturer getting from each engine? We will never know... And the worst yet is that the dealer is the one hurting more than the mfg is because the dealer has to sell the entire package for even more money (boat/motor prerigged) and may have to take a loss to recoupe capital that is tied up in it...

It is all about the corporation, and not the little guy, whether the dealer or the customer...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Think about this: there is a 500% mark-up on retail jewelery--but people still buy it! Look at all those stores in the expensive high rent malls. When push comes to shove, all that really matters is: do people want the product.

To Me? Cars, boats, outboards--they are all overpriced. That's why I only buy used.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I think beer & cigerettes are overpriced :mad:
What does anyones "opinion" matter :(

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Prices are relative.I quit smoking when cigarettes went up to 35 cents a pack.
I remember in 66 when I had a 41 Pontiac hearse gas was 22 cents a gallon
I could never fill it up even with 11 people in there with me.Around 64/65burger,fries and a shake were 45 cents and I seldom could get all three.
Its all relative.

boomer2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Prices are relative.I quit smoking when cigarettes went up to 35 cents a pack.
I remember in 66 when I had a 41 Pontiac hearse gas was 22 cents a gallon
I could never fill it up even with 11 people in there with me.Around 64/65burger,fries and a shake were 45 cents and I seldom could get all three.
Its all relative.
I miss those days...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

<<It is all about the corporation, and not the little guy, whether the dealer or the customer...>>

The corporation is owned by stockholders--they include little guys and their pension funds. Corporations exist for one reason only: to make money for those little guy shareholders. Now if you want to socialize the outboard motor industry....

back to the question, I can't say whether they are overpriced, but I can say they are damned expensive! Although I am a recreational boater, and hate the prices, I can't feel sorry for guys like me; boating is a choice and a luxury. I do feel sorry for the commercial guys, and small businesses that have to use OB's; they have a tough enough time already and little option but to buy a new one every couple of years.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

The fact that there are several good outboard brands out there today provides for some good competition between the major manufacturers. Each one of those companies would like a larger market share and usually the most common way to get it is by offering a better product and/or more favorable pricing than your competitors. As far as "offering a better product", there are several good outboards available today and I don't think that any one of the majors is vastly superior to its competition. They're all running neck-and-neck in technology, and not so vastly different in pricing either.

Having said that, every company is in business to make a profit. These guys have to provide a quality product - or we're not going to buy it, and they have to offer it at a competitive price - or we'll buy it from some other company. In summary, competition is good for technology and pricing. There's no doubt about it, outboards are expensive, but probably in line for the amount of technology and performance that you get.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Price an all new I/O.

a NEW I/O system would cost less than half (uses car technology for the motor)

Have any of you watched HOW ITS MADE on the discovery channel and seen how much goes into making motors / steel parts / aluminum, machined parts? etc with all the robotics and development that goes into just getting these things out to John Q public.....I think they are fairly priced

Think about dealership overhead....a building with a 1 acre property and a 10000 sq ft showroom has to be outrageously expensive....they pass the cost on to you or go out of business....simple economics dictate the price

would I buy one new????? only if I had a boatload of 'extra" money! lol

robert graham

Admiral

Outboards, you're really buying the experience of a great day on the river with wife, family, friends, by yourself, fishing, camping, sightseeing, etc., etc. Yeah!, they're worth it just for the time of peace and quiet on the water!Call it an investment in mental well-being, call it anything, if it wasn't worth it then what are we doing here? Plus we get to have all the fun of screwing around with them.