98 5.7 EFI(TBI) no start.

flynn78us

Recruit
So I have a 1998 merc 5.7 efi. It has never had any issues but after rocking a day on the water with no issues I went to flush her out and couldn't get her to start. She is getting fuel and has no alarm sounding. If I place the throttle in gear it turns over but won't crank. Same thing in neutral. That being said how do I trouble shoot the NEutral Start Safety switch. I also wanted to know if the IAC could have been acting up and causing the no start issue? Engine serial nber is 0L083166. If that helps

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: 98 5.7 EFI(TBI) no start.

So I have a 1998 merc 5.7 efi. It has never had any issues but after rocking a day on the water with no issues I went to flush her out and couldn't get her to start. She is getting fuel and has no alarm sounding. If I place the throttle in gear it turns over but won't crank. Same thing in neutral. That being said how do I trouble shoot the NEutral Start Safety switch. I also wanted to know if the IAC could have been acting up and causing the no start issue? Engine serial nber is 0L083166. If that helps

Check for spark...grab the wire and hold on..If you can hold on then you have no spark...;)

flynn78us

Recruit

What's the best way without a checker? I use to have one for my old evinrud but don't know what happened to it.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Old spark plug..screw driver gorunded to the block