One last question about adjusting lower shift cable

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok last night I installed my new bellows and aligned my motor. I have both the bellcrank and shift bracket alignment tools and am ready to go.

I read through the instructions, and am assuming the large brass swivel nut is ONLY to move the toothed arm that works the interrupter switch and has NO bearing on the bellcrank alignment. So you just adjust your cable and then move the brass swivel nut until it fits in that arm.

Is this correct?

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: One last question about adjusting lower shift cable

I am assuming you are talking about the barrel trunion on the engine side of the shift cable... it actually has a preferred position it should be in.. MRS said this dimension was 6 1/2 inches from the center of the trunion to the center of the shift cable pin hole... then everything else ( shifter to engine side) would be adjusted to that..

The use of the tools and setting the shifter cable properly, are independent of setting the shifter to engine cable.. and that cable should not even be hooked up until after your set the bellcrank and cable length and have those dimensions locked down. You want the shifter to engine cable to match your already installed lower shift cable.. not the other way around..

I myself felt that my shifter to engine shift cable was in proper position, and just adjusted the trunion until it fit properly in it's hole... and luckily for me I was right, and the shifter works great... the adjustment documents I linked you to are right on the money as far as the procedure to the adjustment - if you follow them.. it will be perfect

http://www.midnight-wolf.com/OMC_Install_Instructions.html

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I myself felt that my shifter to engine shift cable was in proper position, and just adjusted the trunion until it fit properly in it's hole... and luckily for me I was right
You can't assume that especially if an owner or shop before you incorrectly adjusted things. Remove the cable going up to the console shifter and do the adjustments to the lower cable with the tools. After that is all set up, then you atatch the cable from the console shifter and it should just drop right on. If it doesn't, you need to adjust that so it does.

One piece of advice regarding the cable going to the console shifter. Make sure it is supported its entire length. If it isn't, tie wrap it into place every foot or so. The steeering cable is a good one to attach to. By doing this, you reduce all the "lost motion" that results from the cable moving around while you shift. This lost motion can be enough to reduce the throw of your console shifter enough that you don't go all the way into gear. It also makes things feel way more crisp rather than sloppy.

What I also do after I am all done is shift into forward and shift into reverse noting the angle of my console shifter when enaging into gear occurs. Should be exact same angle in reverse or forward.

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bruce, I want to make sure that everyone knows I was not inferring that anyone should just hook it up the way it was, and hope it works.. in my case it did.. I was very clear in my statement on how it should be properly done, and that the OMC manual should be followed..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bruce, I want to make sure that everyone knows I was not inferring that anyone should just hook it up the way it was, and hope it works..
Apparently, I did not see you mention that in your post.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I had not downloaded all of the attachments Reinell provided me.

Thanks!

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can't assume that especially if an owner or shop before you incorrectly adjusted things. Remove the cable going up to the console shifter and do the adjustments to the lower cable with the tools. After that is all set up, then you atatch the cable from the console shifter and it should just drop right on. If it doesn't, you need to adjust that so it does.

One piece of advice regarding the cable going to the console shifter. Make sure it is supported its entire length. If it isn't, tie wrap it into place every foot or so. The steeering cable is a good one to attach to. By doing this, you reduce all the "lost motion" that results from the cable moving around while you shift. This lost motion can be enough to reduce the throw of your console shifter enough that you don't go all the way into gear. It also makes things feel way more crisp rather than sloppy.

What I also do after I am all done is shift into forward and shift into reverse noting the angle of my console shifter when enaging into gear occurs. Should be exact same angle in reverse or forward.

And the upper cable going to the shifter has a plastic wheel on it. Is that where its adjusted at? Cant get in my boat right now to see if there is another adjustment on it. (Its still on blocks) I recall the wheel in the back where the cable jacket ends.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

And the upper cable going to the shifter has a plastic wheel on it. Is that where its adjusted at? Cant get in my boat right now to see if there is another adjustment on it. (Its still on blocks) I recall the wheel in the back where the cable jacket ends.
Very possible. Been 10 years since I had my Cobra....THANKFULLY!!!!!!!

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very possible. Been 10 years since I had my Cobra....THANKFULLY!!!!!!!

So, you um... wouldn't own another one huh? :) Maybe some day I can say it's been 10 years since I had a Cobra. Really want a C-Dory.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I think I'm done-ish lol!

I'll tell ya one thing; an aligned motor is MUCH easier to mount an outdrive to!!! Last time it took 2 of us with one cranking the motor. This time I did it alone and it slipped in like butter!

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a trick to putting that outdrive back on. (took me less then 5 mins today. (With the help from my son). Stand the outdrive on the skegg and balance it there. Slide the shaft in until the U-joint is touching the bellows. Take a screwdriver (not Vodka and OJ) And stick it in the u-joints (Carefully).. and turn it as you push forward. Slide right in. Tomorrow, it the muff test. After 3 and half weeks of this thing being off, waiting for parts, and help.. Its back on!!

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats! I turned the u joints with a screwdriver last time too but the alignment was off so badly not even that was helping! She goes in the water today!

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

WELL???? Did she swim perfect?

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

She ran great! Thanks for asking!

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

She ran great! Thanks for asking!

Missed the post from yesterday, and congrats!! Wont get mine on the water for a couple of weeks, but all together and shifting awesome on the muff. I tested the ESA switch while at idle speed and it does nothing. It use to stumble the motor, now nothing. I'm going to check the ground wires, but I'm guessing I'm going to have to replace that. I did read one post where some one replace that, and it still didn't work.. So I want to make SURE mine is dead before tossing a $120. part at it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Did you check while it was in neutral or in gear?

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

and the reason he asks... Tah Dah.. it doesn't work in Neutral