How big is too big to tow?

pfdff

Cadet
So I have a Chaparral 196 ssi 19'6'' runabout. We didn't get much use out of it this year and the local lakes are always so busy around here. Fortunately I live in Washington close to the puget sound with tons of saltwater boating. I was thinking of a cuddy style cruiser to take overnight trips in. I was wondering what everyone thought was a good size boat that I can still trailer comfortably with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. I don't want to moor it because of $. Any thoughts?

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Re: How big is too big to tow?

So I have a Chaparral 196 ssi 19'6'' runabout. We didn't get much use out of it this year and the local lakes are always so busy around here. Fortunately I live in Washington close to the puget sound with tons of saltwater boating. I was thinking of a cuddy style cruiser to take overnight trips in. I was wondering what everyone thought was a good size boat that I can still trailer comfortably with a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. I don't want to moor it because of $. Any thoughts?
I tow a 28 footer with a 3/4 ton and have no difficulties. My brother in law tows about the same and lime4x4 has a 28 foot sea ray weekender that he tows with a 3/4 ton with no real problems. We all tow up to 3 hours each way sometimes. It does take a little getting used to but then it becomes as second nature as towing your 20 footer. I think the only real limitation is width (beam) and what your state will allow before you need permits.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I agree with SuperNova...28' is the general consensus for a 'glass rig.

I did see a 30' aluminum Starcraft cruiser that probably trailers like a dream;)

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depends on what the boat/trailer and gear weighs, your truck should have no problems with 12,000lbs.

We have a Dodge diesel and tow a 10,000lb RV, in moderate hills I leave it in overdrive and its no problem for the truck at all. 12K wouldn't be a problem either and we will draw more headwind than a comparable boat. Needless to say, I have to look in the rear view mirror to make sure the boat in my signature is still in tow.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

How do you and your family feel about camping?? just for me I just can't stay on the boat over night unless a storm hits, My wife and I pic a spot on the lake and backwoods camp, plenty of room to walk around, let the dogs run and out in the great outdoors, For me and how we boat a smaller cabin cruiser would be good for putting our stuff in while on the road or we get hit by a storm before we had a chance to set up camp. we also swim alot and pick a spot with a natural beach too. Just a thought. Hers some pics.

Attachments

• Me and Paula sitting.jpg
    Me and Paula sitting.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • camp site 1.jpg
    camp site 1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Beautiful veiw.jpg
    Beautiful veiw.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • campfire area.jpg
    campfire area.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

We tried sleeping on my boat once. Wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. May try again next year. With that said we are thinging about trailering the boat and sleeping in it on land. Actually probably won't be me sleeping in it since I have a camper but a couple friends are wanting to.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check the max legal width you can tow in you state. if it is too wide you have to get permits.

excalibur-oc

Seaman

Hi,
I just purchased a BL 2655 that was driven 100 miles from Marina to marina. The guy hauling it was using a Dodge 3/4 ton 6cyl. diesel. When talking to him & asking his weight restrictions he went to his trailer to check the tires, that was how he determined how large a boat he would haul. My 2655 was an easy load.
However, here in Ontario we have a width restriction limit of 8 ft to be able to trailer. When you get into the Cruisers they do jump up in beam example 9.5 ft so that would require the hauler to be licensed &/or permits along with appropriate signage. Before you purchase a boat I would check into the transportation laws in Wash.

Ex

bj2455

Seaman Apprentice

We haul a 24' SeaRay cuddy all over the state with a Chevy G20 conversion van. Boat is about 5K dry. Only has a small cuddy but plenty of room for the wife and I to spend the nite on. As long as you have a potty on board, the rest is arbitrary. I mounted a removable gas grill on the swim platform for cooking. We've spent 4 days on the boat at a time up on Lake Michigan, twice this past summer. Got a slip in the marina to clean up for Saturday night on the town. Life is good!! :)

Philster

Captain

Once you get up near 26-28' of boat, the experience can be a little hard on the nerves.

A few more feet of boat requires 5x the patience, distance, nerves and everything else.

But it's okay if you are responsible and have good equipment (tow vehicle). After that 28', it's too much (in my opinion).

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Most states in the US allow 102 inch width without any permits.
I doubt width will be a problem.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You haul whatever you are comfortable hauling, just do it legally.
there is no problem hauling a big boat around as long as you pay attention to whats going on around you.
practice hauling and backing up on some back roads with low traffic to gain alittle confidence.:)
rob

haulnazz15

Captain

You won't likely have a problem with width on the 28' and below cruisers. 30' boats often have a 9-10' beam and then require the special permits. I wouldn't imagine towing a 28' boat is too much different than a 20ft boat aside from the usual increases in stopping distance, and making wider right turns. Backing it shouldn't be harder unless you have to make a tight corner.

As long as the trailer brakes are good and set up properly and you're within towing limits on the 3/4 ton, I say go for it.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

towing is not the only thing you should be concerned with. Are you going to launch it yourself or have a marina put it in the water for you, pulling the boat out on a bad incline can prove to be tough, Our last 26' boat was very heavy with the trailer weight too, a wrecker had to put and pull the boat out, We have seen more than one go into the water because their boat was to heavy and also dragged their vehicle in with it.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

towing is not the only thing you should be concerned with. Are you going to launch it yourself or have a marina put it in the water for you, pulling the boat out on a bad incline can prove to be tough, Our last 26' boat was very heavy with the trailer weight too, a wrecker had to put and pull the boat out, We have seen more than one go into the water because their boat was to heavy and also dragged their vehicle in with it.
Definitely agree with this. Your selection of launch ramps may be limited due to several factors including, but not limited to, ramp steepness, ramp length, depth of water, steepness and width of access road to ramp. These are all obstacles I have come across and merit consideration.

I tow with a 4wd 2500 Suburban and have slid backwards down some ramps that were especially slippery, remember trailer brakes don't work in reverse!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

26-28' shoudl be reasonable, depending on your tow vehicle...

I want a 26' boat myself and I have the truck to tow it with... Much bigger than that and you run into issues with launching, and DOT regulations regarding towing and the widths...